child protection plan

Jeanie

child protection plan

Post by Jeanie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Can I have some advice please......... as a foster carer for my grandson, it was disclosed today in his lac review about his sibling who is a matter of days old is under a child protection plan. What does this mean exactly. Child services said subject to child protection plan and high level of monitoring and high level of concern. What happens now?

Jeanie

Re: child protection plan

Post by Jeanie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for the info :0)
The mgp have been rejected for an sgo for my grandson whom is living with me, due to various reasons (his safety being top if the list). However the parents are living with the mgp, and still a child protection plan is in place, yes I understand for the safety of my granddaughter, but I can see the same pattern happening as it was for my grandson. I am very concerned and very worried, should there be a conference and would I be invited to attend. I am confused

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:01 am

You may have previously heard about children being 'on the child protection register'. The terminology changed to being under a child protection plan, but the effect is basically the same — as ied stated, it means that this is a child whose welfare and development are being closely monitored by the professionals. There are four grounds for a child to be under a child protection plan: that is that they have suffered or are at risk of suffering physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse or neglect.

You might want to suggest that the local authority convenes a Family Group Conference, so that the whole family (you and the other grandparents) could come up with a plan for keeping the baby safe. As to attending the child protection conference (a separate meeting), the other grandparents should be invited, as the people who have immediate care of the baby, but probably not you. However, you could contact the social worker, and even submit something in writing to the conference, making it clear that you are willing to be part of any protection plan for keeping the baby safe, and that you are willing to raise her, as you have raised her older brother. Although you are not currently directly involved in caring for the baby, you can try to make sure that the protection plan states that in the event of any emergency you are the person who will be contacted to take her in.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Jeanie

Post by Jeanie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:31 am

Thank you