police visit at school for grandchild.

jennyj

police visit at school for grandchild.

Post by jennyj » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Hello I have a sgo for my two grandchildren,2 years ago oldest who was four at the time told her teacher she had been sexually abused by her father when he had them living with him.
Police visited her at school kept me up to date on what was going on.
They couldn't take it no further as she has sn and can't hold a full conversation.
Last year we moved area and new schools.New school know everything that has happened also that police visiting at school terrified her.
It was agreed that anything she said at school would be logged due to her fear of police and not being able to hold full conversation.

About a month ago she told her teacher about the abuse,I reseved a call from as but when I explained the situation they said they were not taking it any further.
Friday I get a call from duty social worker saying her and police had been to school to talk to her.
She couldn't tell me what was said but said police might call.
I've not heard a thing back despite leaving messages for social worker.
Why are they leaving me in the dark.grandchild in terrible state.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: police visit at school for grandchild.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Hello

Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at FRG. I’m very sorry to hear about the distressing situation you and your family are going through.

As you have an SGO for your granddaughter, you have parental responsibility (PR) for her, to the exclusion of all others. This means that, if Children’s Services are involved with your granddaughter for any reason, they should be discussing this with you and involving you in any assessments, planning etc.

There are occasions when Children’s Services might undertake an urgent child protection investigation/ assessment without the knowledge and/ or consent of a person with PR if they can justify that this is necessary to protect the child’s best interests. I cannot see a reason why they would carry out such an assessment and refuse to share information with you about this afterwards, however.

Realistically, it is likely that Children’s Services are not fully staffed during the Christmas period, which might explain why your messages are not being answered. Clearly this is not good enough from your point of view, however, as it is important that you are fully aware of anything that impacts on your granddaughter so that you support her and make informed decisions about her care.

If you are still unable to get through to the social worker you spoke to, you might want to try and speak to the team manager and/ or to the social worker is currently on duty. You might also want to put your concerns and questions in writing, again copying in the team manager.

Emphasise that your grandchildren are your priority and that you only want what is in their best interests. Ask the social worker to clarify what assessment has been carried out and when you can have a copy of this. Ask also for an explanation as to why you were not informed and involved in this process before it took place. Finally, ask what current process/ assessment is underway, what this will involve, the possible outcomes and the expected timescale for decision making etc.

Once you are clearer about the process you are involved in, you might wish to make a formal complaint about how the matter has been handled.

I hope this is a useful start. Please do come back and let us know how you are getting on and/ or if you need any further advice. You are also welcome to call our free and confidential advice line (0808 801 0366) when it reopens on January 2nd.

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser

jennyj

Re: police visit at school for grandchild.

Post by jennyj » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Hello,thank you for your reply,I've spoken to duty social worker today who says at the moment there are no up to date notes in the file.
She said the reason I wasn't contacted could be because grandchild gave enough evidence for a prosecution which will take a bit longer than if she had said nothing.In which case they would of rang and said we've interviewed your grandaughter but she didn't give us enough evidence for us to take it any further.
The social worker who sat in on interview is off till Friday but will call me then.Will keep you updated.