Early stages - Case Conference - Urgent update

worriednan

Early stages - Case Conference - Urgent update

Post by worriednan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm

I haven't been on for a while but things have progressed in respect of the many problems with my daughter and my grandson. She has been diagnosed with a personality disorder and is now under the care of mental health.

Social Services are now heavily involved following another police intervention. Finally they are taking my concerns seriously and after several visits to my daughter have decided to go down the Child Protection route. A case conference is now being arranged.

I was involved in their assessment meeting and they want me to have g/s at weekends and to share the upbringing of baby.

Birth father is not on birth certificate but has suddenly decided that he wants to apply to the courts for parental responsibility which would mean that s/s would consider him over me should the need arise to remove g/s from his mother. S/S have stated that I could also apply for the same. Has anyone done this, what is the procedure and do I need a solicitor etc.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

worriednan

Re: Early stages - Case Conference - Urgent update

Post by worriednan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi All

Things are still the same, g/s living with me and daughter doing her own thing.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone who has had to go through the Foster Carers Assessment which we are just starting.

When the ICO was granted in court we were told that we would now be assessed as g/s foster carers and would receive the appropriate financial support. We have briefly met the social worker who is to do this and I am spending two days with her at the end of this week to start the process.

She has already asked several questions including wanting the contact details of all ex-partners, one going back 25 years (obviously I can't provide that one).

It seems that this is going to be extremely intrusive and most of it totally irrelevant as we have been caring for my g/s for over two months already without any indepth checks being done. If this arrangement is only supposed to be temporary why do they need to go so indepth into our pasts.

Apparently it is the same assessment that any foster carer would have to go through but it wont entitle us to become foster carers to any other child! Surely there should be some kind of kinship assessment instead of this.

Have many of you had to go through this kind of assessment and what are your feelings/experiences. I suppose again I need some support in this!!

David Roth

Re: Early stages - Case Conference - Urgent update

Post by David Roth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:59 pm

The social worker ought to be explaining the relevance of the information that they are asking you to provide. As Irene said, it is important that the local authority feels very sure about someone who is going to raise a child for the remainder of that child's childhood, but social workers should be able to explain how knowing a particular piece of information helps them to make that decision.

Although family and friends foster carers are expected to meet the same fostering standards as other foster carers, the governmemt has recognised that the way they are assessed may need to be different. The Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities says: "A different approach may be needed to assessing family and friends foster carers compared to other foster carer applications. The format used by a local authority for presenting assessment reports to the fostering panel may not be appropriate for family and friends assessments if it does not allow for a focus on how the carers will meet the specific needs of the child concerned."

The Fostering National Minimum Standards states: "In deciding whether a relative, friend or other connected person should be approved as a foster carer, the decision maker takes into account the needs, wishes and feelings of the child and the capacity of the carer to meet these."

Both of these indicate that they ought to be concentrating mainly on your relationship with the child you will be looking after.

The NMS also state: "Potential family and friends foster carers should be provided with information about the assessment process, so they know what is expected of them, how they will be assessed, including the criteria that will be used and how particular issues for family and friends foster carers will be addressed, and any support offered during the assessment process." If you feel the assessing social worker isn't providing you with information, perhaps you could point this section out to them?

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser