Sibling carers

David Roth

Sibling carers

Post by David Roth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 am

Family Rights Group will be presenting the results of our research study into sibling care (where children are being raised by an older brother or sister) at a conference on 17th March.

Anybody who is a sibling carer is very welcome to attend this conference, and can be offered a free place. The details of the conference can be found via the FRG main website here: http://www.frg.org.uk/upcoming_events.html

We are very keen that sibling carers should play an integral part in the day's proceedings, eg a sibling carer will act as co-chair of the day's proceedings. If you are a sibling carer who would like to be involved in the day, please contact me droth@frg.org.uk

We are also very keen to present the views of sibling carers, both as expressed in the reseach interviews, but also from people who use this forum. You are very welcome to add your comments to this thread, either as a sibling carer, or as a family and friends carer with views about children being raised by siblings.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

David Roth

Re: Sibling carers

Post by David Roth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 am

The Guardian newspaper has provided very favourable coverage of our report on sibling carers: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/1 ... NTCMP=SRCH

You can read the report on the FRG website here: http://www.frg.org.uk/about_family_and_ ... arers.html

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:36 am

Well done David.

Well done Cathy and all at FRG who I know will have contributed.

Well done the Guardian.

WELL DONE TO ALL SIBLING CARERS.

Grandparent carer in Suffolk [:)]
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Kate

Post by Kate » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 am

Seconding Robin, well done all round, but most of all to the
SIBLING CARERS! [:)][:D][:D][:)]

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:33 pm

I have come across so many family and friends carers who are doing a brilliant job, in difficult circumstances and with very little support, but the sibling carers I met while carrying out the interviews for this research were some truly amazing young people.

They ran into the same problems that a lot of other family and friends carers do - how to juggle childcare and other responsibilities like work or college, how to step into a new parental role with a child, how to manage contact with the child's parents, etc - but many started doing this at a very young age. All of them were aged between 18 and 30 when they started, and many felt they had struggled to be taken seriously because they were so young - so age discrimination is not just an issue for older people. One young man who came to the conference was just 22 when he took on the task of raising his SIX younger siblings, and that was 10 years ago.

This has been a very moving research study to carry out, and I hope that you will be able to read some of the stories of these amazing young people that have been written up in the report.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

mama t

Post by mama t » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:25 pm

[:D]Sending loads of love and energie to these very special young people you are all so brave and wonderful people to give up your own life to care for your siblings thankyou all of you well done and anytime you need anything i am here to help if i can it would be an honour and privledge to help anytime.

love n light mama t.[:D]

mama t
www.whyitsallaboutthem.com