Assessment Confusion

grannie14

Assessment Confusion

Post by grannie14 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi I'm new to this and I'm a little nervous, my grandchildren were taken into care early in September, I am going the though the assessment process. An appointment was made and cancelled because the children's social worker was of sick, another appointment was made for 2 week's later, they arrived 40 mins late and on arrival identified themselves. The social worker who attended was not the children's one! She had been sent a email giving brief details of the case, it is a very complex case. As all the family have learning difficulties. I feel it went well, but have concerns that the children's social worker, who was of work for a further week had let them down. The assessor, on Friday asked me to write a report, on who I plan to care for the children also my health and the amount of support I currently give to my mother...
I have some questions is this normal? Legal? I'm I doing the work that should have been completed by the social worker? or Am I over thinking this?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Assessment Confusion

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Dear grannie14

Thank you for posting and welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion forum. There is really no need to be nervous as the forum is for family and friends who are seeking support and advice from others.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

You are currently being assessed but you do not say what assessment is being done. Is this a viability or a full assessment and is this to be a foster carer or to apply for a special guardianship or child arrangement order. If it is the first viability assessment then if this is positive you will go on to have a much fuller in depth assessment.

Regarding your specific questions about the allocated social worker not being able available to visit you at home. Unfortunately, if the social worker is unwell there is not very much that can be done about that although I can see that you think it would be best for the person who knows the case well to be doing the assessment.

It appears that the person doing the assessment has asked that you set out your plans for caring for the children, how you support your mother now and in the future as well as information about your health. As you have not given details of the assessment being done I can only assume that this information is an important part of the assessment. The person doing the assessment may be of the view that it will be a quicker, easier way for you to put things in writing rather than having to think about things during any meeting she has with you. I think this will give you time to set things out clearly.

Assessments are to look at how a child will be cared for, the support network available to the person looking after the child and the health of the prospective carers which is relevant to ensure that the child's needs will met long term and no difficulties will arise due to an ongoing health issue. Please have a look at our frequently asked questions here

The request for information is not illegal as this information is needed for children’s services to carry out an analysis of the circumstances and whether support might be needed to meet a child’s needs.

You also mention that family members have learning difficulties and it might be helpful to ask the social worker for a copy of the local authority’s policy for working with learning disabled parents. It might also be helpful if you look at the Good Practice Guidance on Working with Parents with a Learning Disability .

If you would like to discuss your circumstances with an adviser, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie