SGO Advice

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:04 pm

SGO Advice

Post by catapillar2018 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:30 pm


I'm looking for some advise in regards to applying for a SGO for a family member
who is in temporary Foster care. I've got party to proceedings and I'm about to start my assessment. I will be representation myself in court as I don't qualify for legal aid. Has anyone else had a similar experience of representation themselves and can offer some advise for how to prepare? Also if any one has advice on the assessment process, no matter how small would be a great help :)

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: SGO Advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Dear Catapillar2018

Thank you for your post and welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion forum.

Someone who has been through the process may well give you the benefit of their experience.

You have managed to obtain party status in the care proceedings but will be representing yourself. The judge will be quite used to you as a litigant in person as a lot of people are now having to represent themselves. All that you need to do is to speak to the judge as normal explaining what you are asking the court to do and what you can offer your relative.

I think you may find it helpful to read our advice sheet DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers which gives a lot of information about the assessment process which can be quite intrusive as well as procedures. It seems that you have already had a positive viability assessment and about to go through the full assessment.

It is not clear from your post what you would need representation for at the moment as your assessment has not been completed and if it is positive assessment and no one is opposed to you having the order, I do not think there will be very much for you to speak about at court except if the support package for your relative is not what you think is needed. However, having said that, it is considered appropriate that prospective special guardians should be involved in the case so they have a good idea about the background of the family and the needs of the child

Please read our advice sheet about Care (and related) proceedings for more information about how a care case progresses.

You may want to discuss your situation further with an adviser and, if so, do telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply