CO PARENT AND SGO what's the difference

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:51 pm

CO PARENT AND SGO what's the difference

Post by Gi55 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:54 am

Hi are you assessed the same way to be a coparent and a special guardian please. I cannot handle the intrusion of the latter.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: CO PARENT AND SGO what's the difference

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Dear Gi55

Thank you for posting on the correct forum and welcome to the family and friends discussion board.

You want to know the difference between assessment for a co-parenting and special guardianship. I am sorry that you did not receive a response to your post sooner due to volume of work.

Firstly, a parent cannot apply for a special guardianship order. If parents wish to have shared care for a child or children they can agree this themselves or, alternatively, make an application to the court for a child arrangement order. The mother will always have parental responsibility for a child and a father acquires parental responsibility in different ways. If he is married to the child’s mother, if he is named on the child’s birth certificate, the mother enters into a parental responsibility agreement or the court makes an order for parental responsibility or a child arrangement order that child lives with the father.

If a child arrangement order is made to a person other than the father then that person acquire parental responsibility. Where different people have parental responsibility decisions made about a child has to be agreed by all persons with parental responsibility. Please read our advice sheet relating to Parental Responsibility

A special guardianship order is often made where a child needs permanency especially if someone wants to keep a child out of the care system. This order can be made to a family member, friend or anyone connected with the child like a godparent. A person with special guardianship order will also acquire parental responsibility but their parental responsibility is over and above others with parental responsibility. This means they do not need the agreement of other to make decisions for the child. If someone wanted to discharge a special guardianship order they would need the permission of the court to do so.

The assessment of a potential special guardian is a very in depth one and can be intrusive too. References are taken up and questions about the person’s health will be made to their GP. The answer to your question is that the assessment is not the same as parents are not going to be assessed in the same way.

This advice sheet DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers gives more details about what is involved for special guardians including assessments.

You may find it helpful to speak to one of our adviser by telephoning our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope you will find this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply