No references. Other options to pass assessment?

Strawberry4321

No references. Other options to pass assessment?

Post by Strawberry4321 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi
One family member has been assessed for special guardian for one grandchild and passed.

Now that family member and myself (another family member) are to be assessed for joint guardianship but as the 1st family member exhausted people who were willing to have social services dig into there lives and as for myself I was in a different part of the country for years and lost touch with people so I don't know anyone who's known me AND the child in question for a year.

Is there any other options for this part of the assessment?

Also we need to change our solicitor can you recommend someone who will not collude with social services?

Thank you for your time and expertise

strawberry

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: No references. Other options to pass assessment?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 am

Dear Strawberry,

Welcome to the Friends and Family Discussion Forum and thank you for posting.

In answer to your first question, regarding references, I suggest you let the assessing social worker know that due to your circumstances (living in a different part the country from the child), there is no one who has known both you and the child for a year. Ask what other type of referee might be suitable?

In respect of changing your solicitor, I suggest you look at the Law Society-find a solicitor .
Look for a solicitor who is on the Children Panel or accredited by the law society to do children law work. You can then look at individual solicitors and how experienced they are and look at the firm’s website. Do they have expertise in acting for friends and family carers or kinship carers?
As an organisation, we are not in a position to recommend any solicitors.

In case you haven’t seen it, here is our advice sheet about DIY Special Guardianship Orders.

I hope this helps. If you need further advice or want to join any discussion, please post again.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Strawberry4321

Re: No references. Other options to pass assessment?

Post by Strawberry4321 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Dear Suzie

Thanks so much for your reply.

Sorry Im saying thank you so long after you responded.

Life has got very hectic lately.

Thanks again.

Strawberry