Advice on assessment

Rosiedoodle

Advice on assessment

Post by Rosiedoodle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi everyone

I'm completely new to this. My cousin's daughter was removed from her mother's care in March when she was just 3 weeks old. She's now in the care of the LA. My family asked if I'd contact the LA and let them know who I was etc... I had a call from the social worker 2 weeks ago and I've been told that the mum is currently undergoing parental assessment. The baby has a number of physical injuries at 3 weeks of age.
When I had the call the SW said that time was tight and wanted to email me the viability assessment form over. My husband and I completed it and returned it the following day. We have since had the DBS online forms to complete. I've heard from the SW today and she's said they're not back yet but she wants to do a telephone interview with my husband and I on Tuesday and it should take about an hour to do.
Firstly what should be expect to be asked? The viability assessment was quite in depth and covered how we would care for the child, schooling, support we have, education, employment, access to services in the area etc...it was 12 pages long.

Also we actually don't know what type of care we would be looking at. I know the baby was on the 'at risk' register before birth and obviously with the injuries she suffered I'm not sure she will be going back to her mum. Is it reasonable to ask on Tuesday what the plan is for her. The final hearing is in September so it's all very much a rush.

We live about 200 miles away and have 2 school age children so we are concerned about contact arrangements and if it would be up to us to travel? My children also have swimming lessons on a Saturday. It's too much to do in a day, it's a 3 hour drive each way. My children are 4 and 8.

There's apparently another family member being assessed on the mothers side however she's in Ireland. (my connection is on the father's side, the baby is my second cousin)

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance