assessment update

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:28 pm

assessment update

Post by tracy2012 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Soc services are not doing any assessment on us. They going for adoption how or what can I do get my nephews out of care before they get adopted . Please can someone advice me on what papers I need for court thank you

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: assessment update

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Dear Tracey2012

I am sorry that your update was overlooked. Do you know why children services (social services) has decided to change their minds after offering to do a full assessment of you?

Did something happen to make the social worker decided that it would not be appropriate to assess you or was the viability assessment negative. If the assessment was negative, do you believe the assessment was a fair one and reflect your discussions with the social worker?

If it is the case that the viability assessment was negative and you wish to pursue the issue you could try writing to the Judge in the case (you will need the case number). Explain what you feel was wrong about the assessment and ask to be made a party to the proceedings. You could ask to have an independent assessment. Please see this section from our frequently asked questions which you may find helpful.

You could also consider whether you wish to make an application for a Child Arrangement Order. This is a private law order which if granted would mean that you share parental responsibility for the children. If you did make this application, the court would consider it are part of the current proceedings as it would be consolidated with the care proceedings. A copy of our advice sheet relating to Child Arrangement Orders is here for your information.

Children Services should normally consider family and friends carers before seeking strangers, so there would need to be a good reason for not assessing you or other family members. The court has said adoption should be the last resort and only if there is nothing else. If you are able to show that Children Services has not considered all family or friends who would be willing to care for the children then the court might say the need to do this. Anyone who wish to be assessed would have to contact Children Services in writing to let them know.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please do telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes,


Post Reply