Assessment

MinnieMoo

Assessment

Post by MinnieMoo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Hello, first post on here, here for usual reasons....
BID; HIBF and DGD 16 wks old...
Just completed the assessment for P I & PII, vile isn't it? I've 'passed' but it doesn't feel like a pass, feels awful. Multitude of emotions about the whole process and the reasons I have to do it; it feels like a betrayal on several levels.
The BSW who assessed me..... well it would be nice if she could spell (er, use spell checker) and use cut and paste correctly. So tempting to do the red pen thing ;) As a professional (who works in social inclusion) I would be ashamed to forward such a report to a client, let alone a professional client FFS.
I'm looking forward to learning from you all and having a safe place to express myself.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:44 am

Dear MinnieMoo,

Welcome to the Friends and Family Discussion Board!

If you have not done so yet, you could have a look at our advice sheets 22-about friends and family fostering assessments, 21 support available to friends and family carers and 19 DIY special guardianship orders.

Best wishes,
Suzie

MinnieMoo

Post by MinnieMoo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Another Core group and I am furiouser and furiouser..... :shock: :shock:
So I have just undertaken the Pt I & II of the foster care assessment for DGD and 'passed'.
So on the advice of my legal person, I asked what order would be used to place DGD with me in the event of parents not getting their stuff together. SW said was I wanting to be party to the proceedings? or what? I explained that while it's OK to place DGD with me, and that is why I went through the process; what protection is in place for DGD, given irresponsibility of parents? Care Order? CAO? SGO?
I'm kind of :o as panel in early Jan, case management hearing is on 21st Jan and final order in late Feb

Min

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:28 am

Dear MinnieMoo

My name is Suzie and I am an Adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you are feeling frustrated by the lack of information following your positive assessment.

It seems that Children Services are awaiting the outcome of panel before they are able to make a firm decision regarding permanency. That permanency can be under any of the order you refer to in your post depending on how the parents fare in their assessment.

As you have a solicitor you should be guided by his or her advice. You will need to be sure of they way in which you would like to take care of the child and discuss this with the social worker. Any order made will have to be one that will meet the child’s future needs and welfare. Children Services will have to have a final care plan setting out what will be in place as support and permanency for the child.

I see from previous posts that you have received links to advice sheets which I hope you will read to have a better understanding of your situation. I have included a further advice sheet regarding care proceedings which will give you details of what needs to happen at each stage of the court process.

I do hope you will find the information helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie

MinnieMoo

Post by MinnieMoo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Suzie (& Folks,)

Thank you for your links, I have printed off the sheets and am currently (re)reading them with a highlighter in position for the important aspects.
What I am frustrated about are the following:
BM is not getting her act together, she could save herself from having her child removed, however, the deadlines are getting tighter and tighter.
BM is bringing items to Core Group that she has not had the decency to ask me, or even tell me, about her future residency plans, even though she will be dependent upon me.
That CS are fully intending to remove DGD, have been since birth, but nothing has been put in place to protect her (or me) from the vagaries of the BP's, hence my request for a CO or a CAO ultimately adoption or a SGO. I have been very clear about that since Day 1 when removal was first mooted.
I have agree'd to engage with CS and a piece of direct work to try to create a 'better 'relationship with BM to benefit DGD. Totally fine, but that person has stolen from me, lied to me repeatedly about anything and everything, because of their behaviour cost me a secure employment, spent a huge amount of inheritance in maybe 10 months.... Its all about engagement and being willing.

Currently there are 4 'plans' on the table and what happens depends on panel, however both ASW and DGD SW support my application; but also on what BP's decide to do, or not to do. DGD SW has said that they would support my SGO application to what extent has to be agreed.

Min

MinnieMoo

Post by MinnieMoo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:46 am

Went to Panel yesterday: recommended as foster carer.
BF completely discounted by both LA & DGD's Guardian.
BM still being assessed, still has to make big choices HOWEVER DGD is safe so far :D

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Dear MinnieMoo

Congratulations on the positive panel decision.

You may find it useful to look at our advice sheet on family and friend's care becoming a foster carer.

I suspect it is a case of waiting for the outcome of mother's parenting assessment to find out what is being planned for your grandchild's (dear granddaughter?) future.

Best Wishes

Suzie

MinnieMoo

Post by MinnieMoo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 pm

HI Folks,

Questions questions here:
Timetable has been altered somewhat....
Further CM Hearing scheduled for 25th Feb, IRH for 20th March and Final Orders for 1st April (no joke). SW thinks it may go a bit further than that due to the way the Reports have come in :shock: She has advised me not to bother attending the Feb court date as its just legalese but to attend the IRH and the CO hearings ( bloody obvious TBH)

1) As the LA are supporting my application, they are paying /covering the costs of my legal fees, or so I am led to believe. Should I get my solicitor to commence acting formally for me as this is starting to grate. I like to be clear about where we are.
2) Should I have a list of prepared 'wants' due to fact I will be a pensioner when DGD is 15 :? The 'support' worker has said she will try to get funding for a nursery place for DGD as I work.
** Should I get/ how do I get the offers in writing?
3) What happens IF my idiot daughter has another child? Do they automatically approach me? Because that would be stretching me a bit far and does necessitate a house move!!

TIA

Min x

MinnieMoo

Post by MinnieMoo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks IED,

I am writing the letter as I type. Multitasking Grandma is us (well me really) :lol:
Letter posted asking for confirmation within 14 days from date of letter. Next thing is to move money around.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Dear Minnie moo,

As Irene says, yes your solicitor should have contacted the local authority to confirm how much of their fees will be covered. Usually they will not act until they have this written confirmation. So I suggest you contact your solicitor directly.

Support is extremely important. Yes do think about a list of “wants”.I am glad that you are thinking ahead to when your granddaughter is older as well. It is important, as Irene says, that you get all the support that may be offered to you in a report before the actual order is made.

I don’t know what order you are thinking of seeking but, for example, Special Guardianship orders offer more potential support than Child arrangement orders.
Have a look at our
support for friends and family carers which outlines the different legal arrangements that can be made and the type of support that is available.

Also look back at information on the forum.

If your daughter had another child, then during her pregnancy, I would expect children’s services to carry out a pre birth assessment to decide whether there was further need for intervention. If it was decided that your daughter may not be able to provide good enough parenting then yes, they would want to assess friends and family as potential carers. This means that it is likely that you will be approached again.

Best wishes,

Suzie