SGO Viability assessment

Cat

SGO Viability assessment

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Okay, i am hoping someone will be able to help clear things up for me....

Very long story but basically 2 years ago my partners neices and nephews got taken into care.We did not fully understand what was happening, or what going to court had entailed. They are now under a final care order with friends outwith the family.

We are now applying to court for permission to apply for an SGO, or if that fails a residence order, or if that fails a contact order. We went to an initial hearing last week and the parents and SW are both contesting the SGO and residence orders.

The judge has asked for more information so we are submitting statements for her to consider.

We know we have no chance of winning at court, the fact we haven't seen the children in 18 months is a big thing (SW decision not ours). But we are doing it more so the children can see when they grow up that we have tried and we haven't just deserted them.

Anyways, we received a call from SW this morning to ask us to meet next week for a viability assessment for SGO. This has really flung us as last week SW were contesting it and the judge hasnt made a decision either way.

So i just wondered if anyone could help me understand why SW would be doing this and also let me know what to expect next week with the viability assessment.

Thanks,

Cat

Cat

Re: SGO Viability assessment

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks for your reply, yeah I just didn't understand why social services would be doing a viability assessment before the court have even granted us permission to apply to the courts for an SGO.

Are you able to explain what a viability assessment consists of?
Is there anything we need to take with us?

Cat