failed assessment

mamma

Re: failed assessment

Post by mamma » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 pm

thankyou, i have a meeting with the fostering assessor tommorow i will ask

mamma

Post by mamma » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 am

OMG its one thing after another, i do respite for adults with ASD my wage isnt very good am not rich and yes some times struggle, Like most people. assessor now says panel are worried i wont have enough money to care for my GS. what do i have to be to become a mamma these days

mamma

Post by mamma » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:49 am

thanks irene, so why are they saying this ? one minite im being tolkd i may be asked to give up my job now im being critasized for not having enough money

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:11 am

Mamma, I can't recall whether you were being assessed to foster your grandson, or for a Special Guardianship Order (SGO). If he is only 9 months old, then I would expect the local authority will probably want you to apply for an SGO, since if he can't go back to his parents then the local authority would not want him to spend his childhood in care.

Still, whichever of these options applies to you, you can get financial support.

If you are going to foster your grandson, until you apply for an SGO, then you should be paid a fostering allowance that is at least the government's recommended minimum fostering allowance. You can see what the government's recommended minimum amout is here: http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/fi ... es_001.pdf

The requirement to pay at least this amount is in Para 4.49 of the Family and Friends Care statutory guidance, which you can read here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... iends-care

If you are being assessed to be his special guardian, then as he is a looked after child you have the right to request that the local authority assess your need for financial and other support, and they must carry out this assessment. Although they are not obliged to provide what the assessments show you need, the judge who was granting the SGO would probably want a good explanation from them if they assessed you as needing a particular level of financial support but the local authority said they were not going to provide it.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

mamma

Post by mamma » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:23 am

Hi David, the final hearing has not happened yet, so the judge may let him go home with support, im doing this assessment, To be a foster carer, if the latter dont happen. I hoping to keep him from being adopted. i really dont understand any of it, Ive applied for legal aid, 4 weeks ago and the L/A legal team still havnt got back to my solicitors so i get legal aid. the finding of fact is 4 weeks away. I have no idea if ive been made party to proceedings. Tafter the finding of fact im back at panel, i still havnt been given a date to attend fostering training as the panel requested the assessor to do.

mamma

Post by mamma » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:34 am

update, finding of fact is over, no judgment yet, but judge and L/A and childs guidian all agree that mum isnt in the pool and that due to dads asberges neglect wasnt with intent, the judge still has to decide if its safe to return home, In a ideal world hed allow all to live at mine with me supervising, he may want them to have more training, i Agree but what i dont agree with id G/S being in care even longer while parents do training, can the judge allow G/S home with me while training accurs ?????