Viability assessment done

wilsy

Re: Viability assessment done

Postby wilsy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:57 am

Well, im not sure whats happening, i cant seem to get hold of the SW now.. been trying for a few days, have left a voicemail and sent a text with no replies from her. Have also tried her manager, but shes not coming back to me either. I heard my niece had been taken to hospital this week with a chest infection, im trying to find out if she is ok and if she is out of hospital now, but no one seems to be picking up any calls!! I know they must be busy, but surely a quick message back to say she is ok wouldnt take long!
Im thinking maybe they have changed their minds and decided to give mum another chance? Would they tell me if they had decided to do that? They seemed so adamant that she wouldnt be going back to her mum though...so maybe not.
Im not sure who to speak to so i can find out whats going on, and when i should expect to hear from the guardian for our next meeting - if its still going ahead.
When i do speak to them, they are great and very helpful - but its getting hold of them thats the problem!

wilsy

Postby wilsy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

well, i have heard back from them finally, apparently i just need to wait until they get in touch with me, they will let me know as soon as anything happens. At the minute nothing has changed, they have prepared statements advising my niece is placed with me, and they do not wish for baby to go back to the mother.
So im none the wiser, and waiting for the next step to happen!

ied53

Postby ied53 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 pm

the wheels turn slowly but they do turn. I know it seems very slow but they have to follow the process or it all gets overturned back to square one.
Irene
Grandparent carer in Lincolnshire
Tough times never last tough people do

wilsy

Postby wilsy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi

Had a call today from the SW, they have been to court this morning regarding contact issues with the mum and fostering assessment with me and my partner.
The court has reduced mums contact from 3 days a week to 1 day.
They have requested a full assessment be carried out on me and my partner - i think she said an F4 form?? I maybe wrong though....
They have also requested an assessment of us with my niece too. This all has to be done by the end of next week. So they are going to do the 2nd assessment of us and the assessment with the baby in one go. Im guessing this means things are moving forward???

David Roth

Postby David Roth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi wilsy

It's hard to say without knowing all the details of what went on in court, but it does sound as if the court are quite keen to get things moving. If the court is reducing mum's contact to a much lower level, then it looks as though her lawyer's confidence that she could win her case might not be justified. Also, if they want to carry out your assessment so quickly, they may well be thinking about moving the child in with you at an early date.

I wonder if it is a schedule 4 assessment that the social worker is going to carry out? That is an assessment for someone who is a relative or friend (or 'connected person') to be approved as a temporary foster carer. Approval following this type of assessment lasts for 16 weeks, although in exceptional circumstances it can be extended once for a further 8 weeks.

If it is a schedule 4 assessment, then that is enough for the child to be placed with you for 16 (or 24) weeks. However, it is still quite a quick assessment, and there would still need to be a longer, more in-depth assessment before you could become a special guardian or be fully approved as a foster carer for the longer term.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

wilsy

Postby wilsy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks David, it does seem like they want to move things along. understandable as baby as spent so long in foster care now.
i think schedule 4 assessment rings a bell, maybe it was that, i was so surprised at the sudden surge of information i didnt quite take it all in. Im not aware of everything that happened in court. Im hoping to find out more info at our assessment on Friday.
Mums lawyer has apparantly said that one thing working in her favour is the distance, we are quite a way from the mum, she obviously would still be entitled to contact - which we think is important too, but with us being so far it would be difficult for her to travel to us. We of course, would do what ever we could to help contact arrangements, but the judge may agree we are just too far, surely this would of been taken into consideration before meeting with us though? and also before asking to travel so far for a second assessment and an assessment with the child?

Im nervous about the second assessment, but also excited, as it does mean i get to see my niece again, its been a while!

ied53

Postby ied53 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi good news, you will be expected to facilitate contact unless of course the court have reason to direct for no contact. Our birth parents have to travel to us for contact but I insisted it is at a neutral venue away from the family home. Good luck with assessments they are very intrusive but with good reason after all you will be caring for someone elses child. Take it on the chin the prize is worth it.
Irene

wilsy

Postby wilsy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 pm

do you think they would continue with the assessments if they thought the distance was going to be a problem?

ied53

Postby ied53 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Hunny what is important is what is best for the child. The distance is irrelavant. People can travel we are one hour from one parent and four hours from the other. I know people at lot further away than that.
Irene

David Roth

Postby David Roth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Wilsy, it might be difficult for them to travel to see the child, but that might be just what they have to do. Too much time spent travelling to contact can also be difficult for children, by making them tired and disrupting their routines. The child's needs take priority over theirs. The decision over whether to place the baby with you is unlikely to hinge on this though. The ideal solution would be for the contact to take place somewhere near you, if it can't be in your home, with a contact supervisor if one is needed.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Return to “Assessment”