How long will it take!!!

peggytoof

How long will it take!!!

Post by peggytoof » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi guys,my niece was removed by SS on the 2nd Feb.On the 7th Feb myself & my husband expressed an interest in fostering her.Since then we have had 2 meetings with SS to see if we are suitable carers for her.The last meeting was over 3 weeks ago,im told by the SW that once she has written her report it will be passed on to the kinship care team,can anyone tell me if there is a timescale this should be complete in,thanks guys xx kind regards Peggy

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: How long will it take!!!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Peggy

Thanks for posting on our board. In answer to your question about how long it will take to be assessed as a kinship carer for your niece, I am afraid there are no set timescales. A general figure would be about 6 months for the complete assessment process. If you feel it is taking too long at any stage, you can could raise this, pointing out delays are not in the child's best interests. But it is a thorough process and it does take some time. The exception to this is where it's an immediate placement with a family memeber or friend (sometimes called a "regulation 24 placement"). Those placements need to be assessed in 16 weeks, with an possible extension of 8 more weeks. This type of immediate placement may be possible in your case, so do have a look at the information sheet on this I am attaching here:immediate placements. You should also take a look at our advice sheet :on becoming a foster carer

I hope this was helpful.
Yours,
Suzie

peggytoof

Re: How long will it take!!!

Post by peggytoof » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks Suzie,my sister gets to see my niece twice a week for 1 1/2 hrs.As her extended family would we be able to see her? thanks Peggy x