Assessment not completed

Worriedg

Assessment not completed

Post by Worriedg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi my self and another family member were assessed to have my grandchild for interim foster care i was told I failed interim as my children had beenonncps for 3 months 6 years previous. Due to false claims made on my ex partner . My parenting was never in question. The other family member also failed it was never told why.
I was however told I could and would be assessed for full time foster care yet as of date this has never happened now the case is nearing final hearing and we are being told its to late ... how can it be to late if its never been followed through.
Seemingly my daughter has lots of small things adding up against her .yet there seems to lots of things not being done correctly from the L A side too. These are peoples lives they are playing with my daughter also has a sensory impairment and they also use this against her . Surely that is discrimination.?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Assessment not completed

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Dear Worriedg

Welcome to the family and friends careers discussion board and thank you for your post.

I am sorry that your assessment was negative and you are unable to look after your grandchild. It is a little confusing however as you later state that you told you were going to be assessed as a full time foster carer. The reason it is confusing to me is that having failed the first assessment for the reasons you were given children’s services would not then go on the assess you as a full time foster carer. Had your assessment been positive then it would lead to a further assessment.

You say your children has been on child protection plans for a 3 month period 6 years ago and this was the reason you had a negative assessment. Were there any other issues of concern? If that was the only reason, then it might have been possible for you to challenge the outcome of that assessment by asking the court to join you as a party in the case and ask for an independent person to carry out a further impartial assessment. Unfortunately, as the final hearing appears to be imminent the judge may decide that it is too late and not within your grandchild’s timescale for this to happen now. Only the court can make that decision.

A copy of our assessment guide of family and friends carers provides information on good practice relating to how an assessment should be carried out. Once you have read this,if you believe your assessment was not done appropriately, then this could be a basis for asking the court to consider whether you should be further assessed.

You may also find our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings helpful.

Unfortunately, as legal aid may not be available to you, it would mean you having to pay a solicitor to advise you on the best course of action.

Regarding your daughter, if she has difficulties then her solicitor should ensure that she received appropriate assistance at court to understand the procedures relating to her child. Also, it would be inappropriate to use her sensory difficulties against her, as you say, without providing her with the support she might need to safely parent her child. You do not give any examples of the little things which are adding up but if these things impact on her ability to parent this will be of concern to children’s services.

It might be helpful for you to make contact with Working together with Parents Network if you think you daughter is not been given adequate support then, with her permission, you could speak with her solicitor about your concerns.

The Equality Advisory and Support Service on 0808 800 0082 who might be able to provide you with more information.
Should you wish to speak to an adviser about your situation, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Worriedg

Re: Assessment not completed

Post by Worriedg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 pm

I was told when i failed the interim i would still be able to go for the full time when ....My daughter's solicitor team has no record of the social worker even visiting us ! To be honest as we left a meeting before seeing social worker for assesment I told my other daughter she would fail us both something about her manner . There were no other concerns 8 infact contacted the sw on that case and she assured me that my parenting was never in question and I did every thing asked of me.
I feel sorry for a lot of people in my daughter's position cause not only do they have to fight the LA they also have to fight the goverment . Cause while your kids are in care you have to try and keep your home lose that then it's another reason to keep your kids away .. My daughter has took on a job to keep hers and was told there are woman At her job under social services its like an epidemic ... It's almost like the film minority report .