Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:57 pm


Post by Wolf » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi there a bit of background. In 2018 I had a breakdown and the children went to live with their dad. Cafcass were involved and I got the children living back with me 8 months later. Then in the November social services were involved as my parenting wasn’t good, I was drinking every night and I had rent debt. I also have emotional unstable personality disorder and depression. I worked with them and they closed the case March 2019. Then during lockdown I messaged the teacher at my children’s school to say I was struggling with the children and they offered my children to go in for 2 days a week as classed as vulnerable. Well the children only went in for 2 weeks then they refused to go. Their behaviour was getting worse and they were pushing me to the point I would just give in. At one point I was suicidal when they were at their dads. The teacher was aware of all of this and called social services. My question is with all this history do you think they will just stick to early help or escalate to child in need or child protection. Thank you

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Referral

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Dear Wolf,

Welcome to the friends and family carers board. My name is Suzie and I am one of FRG’s advisers.

I am so sorry to hear that your mental health deteriorated and that you felt suicidal. I am glad that you were able to reach out and talk to your children’s teacher about how you were feeling. Have you sought support from your GP or been assessed by a mental health team?

Your question is about the outcome of the social worker’s assessment. I am not able to answer your question.
Children services will take into account the history of their involvement. It sounds like it has been quite recent-the last 2 years. It also seems to have been positive as they have closed their case on each occasion. You were able to reach out for support from the school which suggests you can work well with professionals as well as taking care of your health. If you have recovered, children services may not want to be involved and prefer you to seek support via your mental health team. But they may also be concerned that they are involved again so soon after closing their case. They may decide you need longer term support that can happen under a child in need, for example.
The pandemic was not anticipated and has been devastating for many people so it is understandable that you could not have foreseen how it would have impacted your family. Is your GP or mental health team able to devise a safety plan so you know when to seek support? What other support is available in your area?
Rethink may be able to advise about treatments that could help.
Here is information about assessments.

If you need further advice, please post again-on the Parent’s Forum or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes Suzie

Post Reply