16 yr old wants to return home

Nannygems

16 yr old wants to return home

Post by Nannygems » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am

One of my grandsons now 16, he is deaf and Autistic, wants to go home to live with his mum and dad. Since the children went into care and parents blamed for children's behaviour, we now have the proof that there was underlying conditions in father and all 4 children. Although we now have the proof we suspected but ignored by ss they all remain in care. Father tested positive for Wardenburghs Syndrome and just this year confirmed Autistic. So its not a simple case as besides both parents and 2 oldest are all deaf. After taken into care we have got diagnosis of , 1 child paranoid schizophrenic 1 child Autistic 1 child Dyspraxia and finally 1 child still being assessed for similar. Can you please give advice as to whether there is anything we can do to have the children returned after the diagnosis confirm it was not the parents. They have just got a new solicitor to go back to court but just wondered if there was anything further we can do. Also would the 16 yr old be able to return if his choice. Thanks.

Robin D

Re: 16 yr old wants to return home

Post by Robin D » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Hi Nannygems and welcome.

A lot depends on whether the children are with you, (or other family), or with foster parents, and how long they have been in the current placement. The sixteen year-old's wishes and feelings would have significant weight with the court, but that's not to say it would be agreed that he should return to live with his parents.

The best thing you can probably do is to be a good friend and counsel to your grandchildren, and, if possible, to ask the court for Cafcass or similar to see the children to obtain their current views and wishes.

As significant persons in the children's life you could apply to the court to become party to proceedings. There is a fee to apply, and dependent on the circumstances, the court may not agree. However, parties have much more influence on the proceedings.

Good luck ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Nannygems

Post by Nannygems » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:04 pm

Thank you Robin for the great advice. I was not aware i could apply to court so that is my next port of call.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Nannygems wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am One of my grandsons now 16, he is deaf and Autistic, wants to go home to live with his mum and dad. Since the children went into care and parents blamed for children's behaviour, we now have the proof that there was underlying conditions in father and all 4 children. Although we now have the proof we suspected but ignored by ss they all remain in care. Father tested positive for Wardenburghs Syndrome and just this year confirmed Autistic. So its not a simple case as besides both parents and 2 oldest are all deaf. After taken into care we have got diagnosis of , 1 child paranoid schizophrenic 1 child Autistic 1 child Dyspraxia and finally 1 child still being assessed for similar. Can you please give advice as to whether there is anything we can do to have the children returned after the diagnosis confirm it was not the parents. They have just got a new solicitor to go back to court but just wondered if there was anything further we can do. Also would the 16 yr old be able to return if his choice. Thanks.
Dear Nannygems

Thank you for your further post. I see that Robin D has helpfully responded to your post. I would, however, like to add a little more information regarding your grandson’s wish to return to live with his parents.

As a 16 year old who is in care, children’s services should be preparing him to leave care. Normally, there should be an assessment of what his needs are likely to be and a pathway plan made. He should have a personal adviser to support him generally taking account of his wishes and feelings and his needs. Please see our advice sheet Support for young people leaving the care system .

It is not clear from your post if the parents are applying to discharge the care order but as they want son home this may well be the application being made. As Robin has stated in his post the court will make a decision based on your grandson’s welfare taking account of the kind of support he may require because of his diagnoses. Children’s services and the children’s guardian will be involved in the case and the court will also take account of their views regarding your son and what is in his best interests.

Please read our advice sheet Reuniting children in the care system with their families for more information

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie