Page 1 of 1

Party to proceedings

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:42 am
by Maximus
We have had our grandchild taken off of us after having him for 3 and half months under ico.
How do we formally ask the judge to become party to proceedings?
Any help would greatfully received.

Re: Party to proceedings

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm
by Robin D
Contact the court office for the court in question. They will advise, and if need be, help you complete an application form. There is a Β£155(?) fee to pay.

Re: Party to proceedings

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm
by Maximus
Thank you will do πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Re: Party to proceedings

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 am
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Maximus,

Welcome to the Friends and Family Discussion Board. I am sorry to hear that your grandchild was removed from you, 3 months into an ICO. That must have been very hard for you and your grandchild.

I can see that Robin has given you good advice about the first steps you need to take.
Here is a FAQ about what to do as well. Look at the bottom of the answer which gives tips when there are court proceedings.

You may also find our advice sheet 22 about friends and family carers being assessed as a foster carer.

When children are subject to interim care orders they are known as looked after children (LAC) . They should be placed first with people who are being assessed for or who have passed foster care assessments. If you have failed the fostering assessment, then this could be why your grandchild has been removed from you.
Did the local authority give you reasons for removing your grandchild from you? You would have 28 days to challenge these reasons.

However, the other thing to do would be to apply to court for a child arrangements order or special guardianship order. This is what you seem to be doing. Hopefully, you have now made the application. If not, then the court forms would be a C2 to ask to be joined as party to proceedings and also to ask for β€œleave” or permission.
Then you would be asked to complete forms for an application for a child arrangements order or a special guardianship order. See page 24 of our advice sheet 22 outlines these steps.

If you need further advice please post again or if you want to discuss in depth, you could also call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,