Help please

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Help please

Post by Littlelegs » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:20 pm

I have SGO for my granddaughter and have done for the last 15 months, she is now 17 months, I'm just wondering if there is any help out there...
I have found it very difficult to look after baby, I am a single parent and work 4 days a week.
Since the order went through I have not seen a social worker never mind been offered any support and struggle day to day with baby as she was born an addict and has had a lot of problems..
I daren't approach ss as I'm afraid they might take her but if I don't get some help I fear I will end up not been able to cope

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Help please

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Dear Littlelegs,

Welcome to the friends and Family carers forum.
Do not worry about contacting either the health visitor or the social worker about the difficulties that you are experiencing. To provide support is part of their role.

You have enhanced parental responsibility by virtue of the special guardianship order. Parental responsibility gives you the rights and responsibilities and enables you to make most of the decisions in respect of your granddaughter.
Children services cannot just take your granddaughter from you because you are not coping. They would need either your agreement or a court order to take her from you. Only if she was in imminent danger would a court sanction her to be removed from you immediately.

Irene is right to signpost you to your health visitor because of your granddaughters health needs due to being born an addict.
Irene also has suggested you contact the social worker who deals with support under special guardianship orders within your local authority. That person is often in the fostering and adoption team but not always.

At the top of this discussion board-on the burgundy coloured panel, there is a link to local policies and contacts. This should contain the policy for support for friends and family carers of your local authority. If it doesn’t you should find it on your local authority’s website.

Then you should email that social worker for an assessment for support under the special guardianship regulations. The support is in the discretion of the local authority but they need to follow their policy.

Pages 38 onwards of our advice sheet about DIY special guardianship orders sets out some of the support that might be available. It also sets out how to ask for an assessment, and what to do if they refuse to assess you or do not provide the support that you ask for.

You could also contact Adfam who advise families about issues and around drug and alcohol misuse.

Please post back if you have any questions or for more support and you could call our advice line as well on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,


Post Reply