Making the board better!

David Roth

Making the board better!

Post by David Roth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Now that the new-look forum has bedded in for a few weeks, and the new-look FRG website is in place, we’re taking another look at how this forum could be improved.

We’ve listened to what you’ve been saying about the new-look forum, and thought about how we could make it easier for you to use. Here are a few of our ideas – let us know what you think:
  • • Fewer folders! We wonder whether having so many folders has made it harder to find discussions, not easier, and we’re thinking of reducing the number to between 4 and 6.
    • Email notifications. If someone posts on a discussion that you’ve subscribed to, you can be sent an email to let you know.
    • Easier to solve problems. A lot of the problems people have told us about are dealt with in the FAQs (Frequently Answered Questions) section. We’d like to give this section a new name to make it more obvious what it is, and make it easier to find. You can still email us if the problem doesn’t go away.
    • Easier to find new posts. The links to ‘new posts’, ‘unread posts’ etc is already on the Board index page, but in small print. We’d like to make these facilities more obvious.
The problem with having to log on each time should already have been dealt with. The board is now set up so that you will only have to log in each time if you log out at the end of your session.

Your thoughts, please!
David & Suzie
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Robin D

Re: Making the board better!

Post by Robin D » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi David.

Having the option of a daily or weekly 'digest' of new posts would be something I'd appreciate.

Also, knowing the part of the country where someone is from can be very useful when replying. I suggest that for reasons of keeping people protected, it should be at high level perhaps from a drop down list. If we can clear the rubbish from the profile page and then make selecting one from the list mandatory on signing up. (Even if we give a 'rather not say option' right at the bottom of the drop down list)

My list would probably be: North East England, North West England, Wales, Midlands, East Anglia, South East England and South West England, plus Scotland (as we get so many), Other country/state (Manually added).

I guess the same would be true for the 'What type of carer or potential carer are you?' question. Grandparent, Aunt/Uncle, Sibling, Friend, other. Again if this was mandatory at sign up it would filter out many of those that end up on the wrong forum. It would also allow you 'with the usual opt in clause' to specifically target things like your recent post about sibling carers.

Plus of course the previously mentioned hot links to the advice sheets page and the advice line detail visible on each page.

Best wishes ....... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm

When I posted a reply to this page I got
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2529244 bytes) in /home/yasminte/public_html/FandFCForum/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 883

Strangely the posts appears to be there and the preview works but I can't delete the duplicate! :?

Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Which brings me to another point from another forum. Can we change the settings so that the poster can delete a post within about 15 minutes of posting, thereafter it can only be edited please?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your speedy response and suggestions. Sorry about the technical glitch - I've no idea why this happened! In any event, I have managed to delete the duplicate post.

Regarding your suggestions, we will wait for everyone to have a chance to respond and then consider all of the suggestions at the same time.

In the meantime, could you please explain your reasons for wanting the deleting/editing options changing so that we can explain it to the Administrator?

Many thanks and best wishes

Suzie

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Just to add, we are getting the fatal error message as well. We have told the Admin team who will hopefully be able to fix it soon.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Suzie, FRG Advisor wrote:Hi Robin,
In the meantime, could you please explain your reasons for wanting the deleting/editing options changing so that we can explain it to the Administrator?
Happy to do so. Two primary reasons: 1. I usually post and then hit the 'back' button to look at the new posts list. If I get distracted, or the net is slow, I'm sometime unsure if I've posted or not so hit the post button and promptly create a duplicate. That's immediately visible so if there is a short space, I can go in an correct my error. 2. Occasionally, I like many people I'm sure post a rashly thought through response and again hit the button only to immediately reread it and think whoops, shouldn't have written that. I know I can go in and edit it to the point of removing all the text, but its untidy.

Ideally I'd also like to freeze editing after a short period, but given the need for people to read the common response which is to edit their original post to remove the names and identifying details, I don't really thanks that's a viable option unless you give edit rights to a few of the regulars who could do it on their behalf. (also not a good option given the sensitivity of some of the posts. However, I find it most disconcerting when referring back to a thread to find someone has been though and wiped all their original entries, hence you completely lose the meaning of the thread. gain, another forum allows you to edit, the edited text appears immediately, but a moderator has to approve it or re-edit it after the event specifically to prevent that sort of issue.

I hope this helps, if not please ask again.

Robin

Edit: Spelling and grammar!

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, Robin. We'll take note of your suggestions.

Please everyone do keep your comments coming, and let us know what you think of our suggestions.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 am

I hope you've noticed some of the changes we've made to the board that might make it easier to use:
  • - The lettering is now larger.
    - We've re-named some of the tabs to make it more obvious what it is. FAQs (which stood for 'frequently asked questions) has become 'Help with the Board'. It's worth checking there if you're having any problems using the forum.
    - You can now choose whether to have the posts in a discussion thread presented in ascending or descending order - that is, to have the most recent posts at the top of the discussion, or at the end.
Do let us know what you think about these changes, and the others we are suggesting. Your comments are very welcome.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks for these changes David - my ageing eyes are delighted with the larger print! I've had to give up on some sites where the print is so tiny!

Off-topic but if anyone knows how to make facebook print larger I'd love to know because I don't use it as much as I would if I could actually see the print properly :roll: