Getting children back

Nannygems

Getting children back

Post by Nannygems » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi this is a question I'm asking regarding my daughter and her children.
The children were taken 15 months ago, and my daughter wants to apply again to get them home again. It's a complex case as disabilities are involved so won't go into that. We have seen a new solicitor who advises that first she should do a parenting course to prove that things have changed and helps with the application. The big problem is getting on a parenting course for the following reasons, she has moved from East of our county to West of our county, that 2 different councils. East where they lived prior and we're the children's social work team are say they cannot provide this as my daughter doesn't live in their jurisdiction any more. The west say although my daughter lives in their jurisdiction the children are under the east so cannot help. STALEMATE! !
I find this totally ridiculous as we cannot find anyone that can help to find and fund the parenting classes. My daughter is a total mess and so desperate to do everything that's been asked of her only to be blocked at every turn. Any suggestions please .
Last edited by Nannygems on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nannygems

Re: Getting children back

Post by Nannygems » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am

Could you please answer my question as is very important thank you.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Getting children back

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Dear Nannygems

Thank you for posting again.

From your post it seems that both you and your daughter are feeling frustrated by the position that you find yourself in at the moment.

Your daughter wishes to apply to have her children returned to her care and has received advice that she needs to do a parenting course.

It is not clear from your post whether your daughter has been attending looked after child reviews (LAC) or what level of contact she is currently having. Has your daughter as a first step informed the independent reviewing officer (IRO) of her wish to have the children returned to her care? This is probably the first thing she should do and, at the same time, ask what the IRO and children’s services would expect her to do for this to happen. A copy of our advice sheet Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system is here for your information.

Another thing your daughter should consider doing is reading the judgement given by the judge when the decision was that she was not able to care for the children. The judgement should state the concerns that existed which prevented your daughter having the children. She should ensure that she has addressed these concerns and have evidence to show how she has done son. If she has done everything, then she should make a list of what she has done and show this to the IRO and social worker. If there is anything in addition to what she may have done that they think is necessary she can be informed.

Your daughter can, having informed the social worker and IRO of her wish to have the children back in her care, ask the social worker to carry out an assessment of her as she is now. This assessment would make a recommendation whether it would be in the children’s interest to return to their mother’s care.

It is open to your daughter to make an application to discharge the care order and once this has been done the court would direct children’s services to do an assessment if one has not already done.

Please read our advice sheet relating to Reuniting children in the care system with their families

As you have said you have been unable to find a parenting course, I have looked at the internet and found this free service
which your daughter might want to contact.

You can if you wish speak to an adviser by telephoning our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie