Sibling contact advice needed

Jellyfish

Sibling contact advice needed

Post by Jellyfish » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi
I am a sgo for my neice , has been with us 12 months , and in foster care 8 months before coming to us . Contact with bm is every 4 weeks 4 hours , bm is allowed to bring somebody to join contact every other session but not for full session as agreed but must let me know in advance . Bm is with a new partner (5 months )not known to neice , bm is not allowed to bring any new partner to sessions untill they have been together a year , and only for an hour of session . Bm is pregnant again ( we havent been told by bm yet )what would the advice be regarding this sibling contact , I don't want contact to be about mum and new baby , I want niece to be the focus , I'm not sure what I should be offering in way of contact but thinking every two /three months , but how long ? I'm pretty sure an hour with a new born will be far to much ? Many thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Sibling contact advice needed

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Dear Jellyfish

Thank you for your further post.

Whilst I understand your concerns regarding contact between your niece whom you are caring for under a special guardianship order and her sibling. It is difficult to say what level of contact would be appropriate, this is because when considering contact each child’s needs would be considered either by children’s services in they become involved with the birth mother again in respect of her unborn baby or the court if considering an order.

As you are caring for your niece you will of course be able to put forward your concerns and your views on the level of contact that should take place. There is really no set level of contact between siblings. It will depend on the circumstances and as stated above the needs of the siblings and what is their best interests.

If you are able to agree contact with the birth mother then I suppose it will be what you both agree is manageable and best for the children. Contact can of course be flexible and change as children’s needs change.

You may wish to speak to an adviser and, if so, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Jellyfish

Re: Sibling contact advice needed

Post by Jellyfish » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Thankyou
I guess it's a it wait and see , bm has already started cutting contact down with niece , I guess no good worrying today for tomorrow untill it arrives