reducing contact

LISALOU68

Re: reducing contact

Post by LISALOU68 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks that's helpful, but could the Last take it back to court to change the contact?

LISALOU68

Post by LISALOU68 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 am

Sorry I meant could children's services take it back to court and should we get an agreement signed by the parents and myself detailing the suspension of current contact and the revised contact arrangement? The parents have agreed to suspend overnight contact and change to once every 3 weeks in the community supervised myself until the issues with the neighbour are resolved does this sound OK

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:44 am

Hi LISALOU

It sounds as though you have reached a good compromise about contact that all parties are happy with and, most importantly, that meets the children's needs.

I would advise that you put the agreement in writing ASAP and ask the parents to sign it as that will be important evidence if the parents change their minds and take the matter back to court. Even if the parents are not happy to sign, it would be helpful for you to have noted the discussion/ agreement and sent it (dated) to the parents so that you can refer back to it at a later date if necessary. I would also email a copy to children's services and ask them to confirm that they agree with the new plan.

Regarding returning to court, it is not going to be appropriate for children's services to make an application as they no longer have parental responsibility for the children. Under the SGO, this is shared between you and the parents so an application should come from one of you.

If you anticipate that the current arrangement is temporary until the neighbour dispute is resolved, it is likely to be fine to leave things as they are and work towards restoring the previous contact. If at any point you decide that a more permanent change of arrangement is in the children's best interests, however, you should consider making a new application to court. Children's services may agree to assist with this (including funding legal advice) if they believe it is necessary to safeguard the children.

Hope this helps.

Suzie
FRG Adviser

LISALOU68

Post by LISALOU68 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Yes that's great thank you