Christmas contact

Pollylolly

Christmas contact

Post by Pollylolly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Do you allow this as its Always supervised phoned contact. The problem being We are going to be really busy that day as we have guests so we think we will say no. They are phoning on Christmas Eve though.

Pollylolly

Re: Christmas contact

Post by Pollylolly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:29 pm

We've said no and told them the time for tomorrow weather they do or not is debatable. Phone calls where 3 times a week now cut to 2 as they wouldn't phone when they where meant too. Children getting upset as the oldest would remember and tell the others.
As a rule we don't tell them when phone contact is or even when it's contact day because of unpredictablity of them.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Dear Pollylolly

Welcome to the Family and Friend Carers Forum.

My name is Suzie and I am an Adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry that you are having concerns about the contact arrangements over the Christmas period for the birth parents of the child or children you are caring for.

From your post the parents do not maintain regular contact and difficulties arise with contact. Whilst Christmas is a busy time and supervising telephone contact may not be something you wish to do, would it be possible for you to set a time for the telephone call on Christmas Day. If there is to be a call then perhaps the parent(s) would forego Christmas Eve. If they do not telephone at the specified time then the children will not know about it and will not be adversely affected.

If you believe it would be too disruptive or of no benefit then it is for you to decide whether to allow this contact to take place.

I hope you will find this helpful and I attach a copy of our advice sheet relating to Special Guardian and birth parents.

Best wishes

Suzie

Pollylolly

Post by Pollylolly » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:15 pm

We went with in the end Christmas Eve contact only and I was glad I did as mother barely spoke to the children and then got annoyed with them. Poor loves.

She, mother then went passive aggressive on us and didn't telephone when she was meant to sadly over the Christmas and new year period. It's not us that suffer but the children as the older one is remembering when mum is phoning.