Grandparents rights?

Katieak

Grandparents rights?

Post by Katieak » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi all this is a long one sorry I have a year old grandson who is currently in care we didn't know he had been taken into care until October we had visited him a few times and took him out did all the grandparent thing you do my daughter is only 18 and the baby's dad is 30 we were not happy about this but our grandson is our world the father is a drunk and violent he would call us asking for money constantly and to be honest we would not give Hume any but behind my husbands back I would give my daughter money anyway it came to a stand off when we found out social services were involved we asked why and my daughter came up with a million excuses that did not add up we tried to help but would get text saying they wouldn't be home we couldn't visit she fb me and said we couldn't see our grandson any more we rang went round anyway in October she got in-touch to say he had been taking into care we went round and got no we're with her I rang social services who were surprised they were told by my daughter and her boyfriend we were drunks!! And had nothing to do with our grandson we don't drink! We had a meeting with the social worker and a lot came out let's say the picture was not great he was on the at risk reg and was removed by police after he had been attacked we had a visit with our grandson in a meeting room with my daughter my relationship with my daughter at this point is not great she told the social worker after the visit I couldn't see my grandson again and as she has parental rights the social worker had no choice but to do as she asked we have had nothing since October we ring the social every week then in December desperate to give our grandson his first Xmas presents we rang again she said it had been given to another social worker and he was still in care she cave us the other social workers number but we keep ringing her and she not available always out the office what do we do? We're do we go? Can we do anything? If anyone can help then please let me know thanks

Katieak

Re: Grandparents rights?

Post by Katieak » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:48 pm

We did express our desire for him to be placed with us until what was decided and the then at risk social work said she would start the checks but then she passed it over to another one who isn't even answering our calls I fear us stupidly waiting for social services to get to us has made it a little harder I'm going to right to them tonight and hopefully start moving forward I have rang this social worker again today surprise she not in the office again and will get back to us or so they said again thanks for the advice much appreciated this is all alien to us thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Grandparents rights?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Dear Katieak

I would certainly follow ied53's advice and put your request in writing to be assessed to care for your grandchild to the allocated social worker ensuring you copy it to the team manager. If there is an Independent Reviewing Officer I would also ensure they know about your intentions.

You may also find it helpful to look at our advice sheets on becoming a foster carer, residence , special guardianship orders and available support to family and friends carers.

Best Wishes

Suzie