Broken confidentiality

MumGrandmaAuntie

Broken confidentiality

Post by MumGrandmaAuntie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in sounding off section!
We are currently fostering baby nephew. His dad (my BIL) has supervised contact at our house. Today the superviser is keen to tell me he met someone who knows me. He goes onto remind of an aquaintance I hardly know and haven't seen in over a year. I presume she has started working as part of the contact centre and then discover that he has met her through online dating!!! How the heck did my name come up in conversation????
What should I do about this? It it is not the only unprofessional boundary he's breached but this affects me personally and I am livid. Not sure whether to speak to him about it again or go straight to manager in complaint. Advice please. Am I being over sensitive?

MumGrandmaAuntie

Re: Broken confidentiality

Post by MumGrandmaAuntie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:21 am

It turned out the aquaintance does not work with the contact superviser. That was my wrong assumption as I couldn't see any other circumstances where he would talking about me but when I asked how he knew her he said he met her through online dating. I can't for the life of me think how my name came into the conversation other than him talking about his work which in my opinion should be done without using any names or identifying features.
I don't know the address or email address for the manager. I only have a phone number and need to deal with this today because there is another contact session tomorrow morning.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 am

Hi MumGrandmaAuntie

My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are dealing with. The behaviour of the contact superviser sounds completely unacceptable and I agree that it is right for you to make a formal complaint.

You mention that you have a phone number. Is this a direct number the contact worker or an office number? If it is an office number, I would advise that you call this morning and ask to speak to a manager urgently. Explain your complaint and be clear about the outcome you expect- i.e. that the matter is looked in to appropriately but, in the meantime, that an alternative contact worker is arranged for the forthcoming visits.

I would also advise that you contact the child's social worker today to pass on your concerns. As ied has said, if the contact worker is discussing your situation inappropriately, this potentially puts your nephew at risk of harm. It is, therefore, important that the social worker is aware of and dealing with this.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser

MumGrandmaAuntie

Post by MumGrandmaAuntie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have decided to speak to the fostering support social worker first but she's on holiday till Friday. There is contact tomorrow then not till middle of net week and SGO might get granted on Friday anyway so although I still plan to raise this issue it is not urgent.
I don't think my nephew's safety has been threatened with this aquaintance but it has got me wondering who else he chats to so apparently openly.
I'll post back when I have an update.

MumGrandmaAuntie

Post by MumGrandmaAuntie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Thank you for the replies. It was helpful to know I was not being overly sensitive. Thought I'd come back and post how this has been resolved. Firstly as we are fostering currently we have a family support social worker. I spoke to her about what had happened. She agreed it was unacceptable and raised with nephew's social worker. The contact supervisor manager was then contacted and the person responsible for the breach has been pulled up about it and removed from the case.
It was nice to be heard and understood by CS. You hear so many negative stories I thought I'd share one with a better outcome.