Betwixt and Between

Elddismagnum2011

Betwixt and Between

Post by Elddismagnum2011 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 am

We adopted our niece almost 9 years ago. Three of her siblings were adopted together outside of the family. The oldest two were placed seperately with other aunts and uncles.It was agreed at the start that we would have letterbox contact with photos twice a year and an annual video, aiming for face to face contact asap. This was agreed by everybody.

However, it has dwindled to one letter a year without consulting us. Having posted on an adoption forum I have learnt how hard it can be for adopted children to cope with contact and there can be some "fallout" for the parents to cope with. It appears from the childrens letters that they miss their siblings very much. I have always approached the other parents as an adopter rather than as birth family (if that makes sense) and felt that I had a good relationship with them.

In our most recent letters the oldest girl asked if she could have direct contact with the parents so that they could get to know more about each other. This was rejected by social services. Our daughter also would like to have the same level of contact with her adopted siblings as she has with her non adopted siblings ie casual face to face, texting and via the internet. Social services would not allow her to put this in her letter. I am upset that our daughter who as an adoptee will have the same concerns and anxieties as her siblings is not considered in all this.

I would be grateful for the views of kinship carers which perhaps might differ from adoptive parents as we seem to have a foot in both camps :? I think I need some help with dealing with social services - do we have any rights at all?