can aunt do this?

frustratednanna

can aunt do this?

Post by frustratednanna » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

post removed .
Last edited by frustratednanna on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kate

Re: can aunt do this?

Post by Kate » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi frustrated nanna, I'm sorry you are having so much worry due to the interfering and undermining of this aunt. Your granddaughter sounds a really lovely girl, a credit to you, and if she has sometimes had a moan to her aunt about you that's all part of being a teenager, as she's said to you herself. It sounds as if you have a very good relationship and you are just doing your job when you try to protect her online safety etc.

I'm afraid I don't have specific answers to your questions but I'm sure someone else will. I know you must be worried but I'm sure no one is going to sweep in and do anything drastic as your granddaughter is obviously stable, happy and settled with you and it's the last thing in the world she would want either. Hopefully the aunt will just make herself look foolish and get short shrift from social/children's services. She is showing no respect for the fact that you are the one with responsibility for bringing up your g/d and is flouting your express wishes that she not contact her direct, but you, and this obviously has to stop.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 am

I agree with Kate.

Clearly the aunt is entitled to express her concerns, but if a 13 year-old expresses an opinion, it will carry a lot of weight. For what its worth, our 15 year-old has no mobile or unmonitored access to the web as he can't be trusted, and more sadly, nor can mum or dad. Social Services and the police were involved earlier this year on another matter, and both commended us for taking such a strong line.

I don't think SS will do more than visit and ask a few questions. If she takes it to court, there is little you can do except explain. You may find SS support you as they should not want the placement undermined or disrupted.

Good luck ...... Robin.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

frustratednanna

Post by frustratednanna » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 am

post removed
Last edited by frustratednanna on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:42 am

Hi frustratednanna

My name is Suzie, I am an advisor here at Family Rights group. Thanks for posting on our board. I am sorry to hear of the difficult time you have had.

In answer to your specific questions, first, yes, an aunt can apply to court for a contact order, though she would need to get the permission of the court ("leave") to do so first. I of course couldn't say how a court would rule but the judge would certainly take your granddaughter's views into account and would be keeping her best interests at the forefront. In answer to your second question, yes, your granddaughter can see a solicitor. She may want to try
Childrens Legal Centre

More generally, I would just say of course be open and honest with any social worker that may want to speak to you. Explain the situation and hopefully your granddaughter and you can work out something about contact that you are both happy with.

All the best
Suzie