Contact

fatcat

Re: Contact

Post by fatcat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:21 pm

i could be wrong, but i know the latest government is really stamping down on benefit claiments around incapacity benefit, and also age of youngest child, so more parents than ever having to go onto job seekers allowance.

any possibility that this mum is thinking along these lines?

ajc

Post by ajc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi fatcat knowing mum yes its a possibility she is thinking on these lines. She has never worked a day in her life.

Keep on keeping on
Keep on keeping on

ajc

Post by ajc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Just a update which I again need advice on.
Apparently ss are still involved with birth mum because of the baby she has now which is no relation to me.
It is the baby's sw who told her that she should be contacting the school as she should be the one getting regular reports, photos, invites to events etc...So she was doing as instructed.(parents evening was last night and she never showed)
I am shocked that the sw has given her this advice, we are the ones who buy everything,school uniform, gets her up dressed, pays her dinner money, deals with the homework and reading,makes the costumes and go to fund raising events. No money or interest comes from mum. She could ask me and I would tell her, or she could ask the g/c at contact.
What is the point of having a SGO and working and engaging with the school if she can then walk in and take over? (no that we think she can be bothered) But what if she did have the interest? What then?
Anyone know where I stand on this?
I am so angry that I feel like ringing the sw team manager and asking what the hell they are playing at, but first I need to know I am legally sound in that SGs are the ones with day to day PR above that of the birth parents?
Can anyone advise me as I feel so undermined and need to nip this in the bud.

Keep on keeping on
Keep on keeping on

fatcat

Post by fatcat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 pm

hi

has the sw confirmed that she gave this advice? my daughter used to attribute the most outlandish stuff to the children's social way in order to try and justify her bad behaviour. The poor social worker knew nothing about the advice that she had apparently given.

however, if it was indeed the social worker, you could ring the team manager and politely suggest that the sw might benefit from some training around what SGO means, or email them with a link to the FRG advice sheets, which spell it out rather nicely.

print one off for mother while you're at it.

ajc

Post by ajc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 am

Hi thanks for that and the reassureance.
I have rung the complaints dept to inform them that I need to speak with the team manager as I dont know who the sw or the team is:
I am now waiting for a call from the manager or whoever about this. I need to find out if the sw told mum this or if its complete fabrication on mums part.
I think it must be true because of the sudden peak in mum's interest she never has bothered before.
I also think that the sw I under the impression that the g/c are on a RO as apposed to a SGO.
I also must add that I have no problem at all giving mum this information if she wants it, but its the way mum has gone about it/or been advised to go about it that upset the apple cart.
I must admit it is stressing me out somewhat.

Keep on keeping on
Keep on keeping on

David

Post by David » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:26 pm

I am not sure that all the information given in this thread is strictly accurate. For isnstance, an SGO does not give PR "to the exclusion of all others" - parents still retain PR.

The Dept of Education's web site http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pup ... onsibility states:

Definition of parent
Section 576 of the Education Act 1996 defines 'parent' as

all natural parents, whether they are married or not
any person who, although not a natural parent, has parental responsibility for a child or young person
any person who, although not a natural parent, has care of a child or young person (having care of a child or young person means that a person with whom the child lives and who looks after the child, irrespective of what their relationship is with the child, is considered to be a parent in education law).

General principles for schools
Everyone who is a parent, as defined above (whether they are a resident or non-resident parent) has a right to participate in decisions about a child's education and receive information about the child (even though, for day-to-day purposes, the school's main contact is likely to be a parent with whom the child lives on school days).

School and LA staff must treat all parents equally, unless there is a court order limiting an individual's exercise of parental responsibility. Individuals who have parental responsibility for, or care of, a child have the same rights as natural parents, for example

to receive information, e.g. pupil reports
to participate in activities, e.g. vote in elections for parent governors
to be asked to give consent, e.g. to the child taking part in school trips
to be informed about meetings involving the child, e.g. a governors' meeting on the child's exclusion.
Where a parent's action, or proposed action, conflicts with the school's ability to act in the child's best interests, the school should try to resolve the problem with that parent but avoid becoming involved in conflict.

David H - grandparent carer
David - former kinship carer for SEND grandaughter, now retired and still appointee for her Universal Credit & DWP benefits

David

Post by David » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for clarification. SGOs were not available when we obtained RO for our grandaughter, so I had not fully appreciated all the PR implications. As you say, with ROs birth parents can continue to particpate in PR; unfortunately they will often only do this when it suits them and to cause trouble.

David H - grandparent carer
David - former kinship carer for SEND grandaughter, now retired and still appointee for her Universal Credit & DWP benefits