Surrendering SGO

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Surrendering SGO

Post by Desperado » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:22 am

I have a 10yr old under an SGO for the last 4years. I am struggling with his behaviour and the impact on my 2 other children is way too much. I believe he can return to his mum as she is in a much better place now with me overseeing care and still having overriding parental Responsibility. How do I go about this?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Surrendering SGO

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Dear Desparado

Welcome to the Family and Friends Carers’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry it has taken sometime for you to receive a response to your post.

I am sorry that you ar experiencing difficulties with the behaviour of the 10 yea old for whom you are caring under a special guardianship order. It is not clear from your post whether you have sought any help or support from your local authority. Local authorities are able to offer support to special guardians where there are difficulties with the children for whom they are caring. This support can include therapy. You can request support under the Adoption Support Fund which includes special guardians. Please see information

If you have already sought help and believe you are no longer able to care for the child, then it is possible to have him spend more time with his mother with a view to him going to her full time. Alternatively, you can inform children’s services of your decision not to continue caring for him and, it would then be for them, to carry out the appropriate assessment of his mother to see if he is able to return to her care full time.

Should you decide for the child to return to his mother’s care you would need to inform children’s services as they will need to stop payment of any allowance you are currently receiving.

As a special guardian you could agree to children’s services accommodating (placing in foster care) him whilst they carry out their assessment.
If none of the above suit you then, you or his mother can apply to discharge the special guardianship order and for a child arrangement order to be made in the mother’s favour. The mother would need to ask the court for permission to make her application. Please see advice sheet Special Guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents?

I hope you will find this information helpful for you and the child in question.

Best wishes


Post Reply