SGO Assessment help please

KB74

SGO Assessment help please

Post by KB74 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi, I am in the process of being assessed for my step sisters baby. She has mental health issues and has been told that she cannot have custody of the baby. We are new to this and havent a clue as to what happens, we have passed the suitability assessment so now we are at the next stage. Could someone please let me know what happens etc. Also I am worried about what questions they ask the people giving the references incase I ask the wrong people ie, can they be family, do they have to be work etc also what will they ask as people at work know me but not my husband if that makes sense. Sorry about the rambling on just feel like a fish out of water as dont know what to expect.

Robin D

Re: SGO Assessment help please

Post by Robin D » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi and welcome.

I can understand the fish out of water feeling.
You might find the best place to start is by downloading and reading advice sheet 21 found at http://www.frg.org.uk/need-help-or-advi ... ice-sheets. It's very well written and should give you a good start. Some of the other advice sheets may also help.

The other great source of help, is to see if there is a F&F support group near you. The list is at http://www.frg.org.uk/need-help-or-advi ... ort-groups. If you can't find anything, a call to the advice line might help.

You can of course also ask the SW responsible for more information, but many find that advise from those who've been through the hoops can be more beneficial, hence the support groups.

best wishes ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

KB74

Post by KB74 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Thank you all so much, i am just really nervous now as I dont think we scored to well but LA is putting is forward as the alternative is complete adoption away from the family. I have been told they have to do an assessment first and then it takes 12 weeks for them to decide, I just wondered if the LA have recommended us will it still take as long etc :(

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 am

Dear KB74,

Welcome to the friends and family carers forum!

I can see that Irene and Robin have given you a lot of very good advice about being assessed to care for your step sister’s baby. I am glad to see that you have passed the first (viability) assessment. The social worker will now be carrying out the more in-depth part of the assessment and chasing referees, doing police checks and obtaining a report from your GP about your health.

Robin referred you to the advice sheets on our website. Have a look at advice sheet 22 as well. This sets out the assessment process for friends and family foster carers.

If you have any questions, please post back again. There are a lot of experienced carers who, as you have seen, can offer good advice. You could also call our advice line for confidential advice on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie