Legal assistance

Post Reply
Dolly daydream
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Legal assistance

Post by Dolly daydream » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:17 pm

I have been advised by the social worker on the SGO for my grandson that I need to get legal representation, I want to know if they are required to pay for this or am I ?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Legal assistance

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am

Dear Dolly daydream,

Welcome back to the friends and family carers forum!

Children services have the “power” to pay towards your legal fees but they don’t have to.
Many local authorities’ will pay because it is cost effective to do so. It is cheaper for a child to be placed with a relative or friend under a special guardianship order than for a child to remain
looked after in local authority care. A solicitor makes any court application much quicker and easier.
Ask the social worker in writing whether the local authority will fund any of the legal costs.
Look at page 39 onwards of our advice sheet about DIY special guardianship orders it sets out how to ask for support from the local authority and what support that might be available(including legal fees).

Another tip is to ensure that any support you are being offered by the local authority is written down in a report before the court order is made. It is much easier to negotiate about this before a court order is made than afterwards-when children services case is closed.
If you decided not to have a solicitor-then our advice sheet also gives guidance about how to make the court application.

I hope this helps but if you have any further questions, please post back.

Best wishes,

Post Reply