Eek.... Just given notice to the Local Authority

MandyLou

Eek.... Just given notice to the Local Authority

Post by MandyLou » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:14 pm

We've decided to apply for an adoption order. Have just written to the local authority to give the required 3 months notice.
Lots of reasons why we think adoption rather than SGO is better for the little one long term.
I guess it'll be up to the court to decide. But at the end of the process I want little one's future as secure as it can be.
Hopefully before the end of this year we will have a final order which provides for his future!

MandyLou

Re: Eek.... Just given notice to the Local Authority

Post by MandyLou » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 am

So back in April we gave notice to social services.
They bounced it around the department for a couple of months before even speaking to us. Now they say they are 'having difficulty appointing a social worker' to assess us.
So....... I've contacted our doctors to get the medical reports done, and once we have those we will submit the application whether we've had a social worker visit or not.
I expect it will annoy them, when the report is ordered by the court, rather than asked for by us, but how long do they expect us to wait? Little one's birth mother is back being friends with those who tried to disrupt our lives and who knows what they are planning next.
I have to do something, so this is what I'm doing!

MandyLou

Adoption order granted!

Post by MandyLou » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 am

So..... We decided to apply for adoption rather than special guardianship. We did that knowing that SGOs are more usual in cases where grandparents have care of a little one, but we felt strongly that an adoption was more suitable in our case. Still, we kind of expected to end up with an SGO.
Many, many months later (18) we have just been granted the adoption order. Children's guardian and social workers were all in agreement that the adoption was best for him. The judge said he had not dealt with a case like ours before and had to weigh up the options carefully, and in the end agreed to make the order we had asked for.
It does still seem like a dream. I'm so very happy. ☺️

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Eek.... Just given notice to the Local Authority

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Dear MandyLou

Thank you for sharing your good news. I am really pleased that you have had the outcome you wanted.

Best of luck for the future

Best wishes

Suzie