SGO or adoption?

Celle

Re: SGO or adoption?

Post by Celle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm

My daughter and her husband attended Court yesterday, for the preliminary hearing of their application to adopt F. They have had an SGO for her, for 2 years now. She was three at the beginning of November last year.

While they have a lawyer who is on the Children's Panel, he advised that he didn't think it would be necessary for him to attend Court on that occasion, although he would, if required.

To their surprise, my daughter and s-i-l were told by Children's Services that they had appointed a lawyer to represent them, free of charge. CS in the county where they live have been supportive of this application to adopt, and have been much more helpful than CS in the county where the SGO was placed

The judge seemed to think the case is straight forward and has assigned the following next steps and timelines:
·
  • Annex A Report to be filed no later than 4pm on 26th January 2016.
    · Cafcass Reporting Officer report to be filed no later than 4pm on 12th February 2016.
    · Final Hearing and Celebration booked for 10am on 11th March 2016.
Fingers crossed everything is presented in a timely manner and all goes well on March 11th!

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Watching with interest. Hope all goes well.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Celle

Post by Celle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks, Robin.

CS adoption officer says that her Annex A report is already completed and will be filed on Monday.

Cafcass officer has to contact birth mother and get her written consent to adoption, on the correct form. Apparently, although BM signed something, supervised by her father, it was not in the correct format. She also requested to attend the Court session, but didn't turn up.

I hope that getting BM's signed consent doesn't hold up matters. She is still on drugs and has a history of failing to keep appointments arranged by CS.

Celle

Post by Celle » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:30 am

Thanks, Irene.
We all hope the adoption goes through without any hitches.

Our daughter said the Judge asked why an SGO was taken out initially, as he thought that adoption would have been more applicable in the circumstances. Daughter replied that F. had been in foster care for 10 months by the time the case came to court and they agreed at that time to an SGO, in order to get F. into a settled home more quickly.

Since they'll have the same judge for the final hearing, we're hopeful that he will order adoption.

MandyLou

Post by MandyLou » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:55 am

If they are planning 'final hearing and celebration' that must be an encouraging sign!
Hope all goes well.

Celle

Post by Celle » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:46 pm

I have some wonderful news!

Yesterday, our daughter and son in law they attended court , and the judge granted the Adoption Order. F is now legally their daughter, and our granddaughter, by law as well as by love. :D

There was a delay in the process - almost two hours - as some of the final paperwork was not in place. There was no written record that the BM had been notified of the proposed adoption, or given her consent.
Fortunately, our daughter knew the BM's phone number. The court solicitor phoned and, miraculously, the BM answered. She told the solicitor "Yes. I've said yes about ten times. It's OK with me." The judge then formally asked her, "Do you give your verbal consent to this adoption?" When she said yes again, he told her that he would be granting the adoption.

The judge then gave F a soft toy and a souvenir certificate. He was very popular with her, as he let her choose the toy. She had previously said that she wanted a frog and he had one. He asked her if she understood what had happened and she said "Yes. My Mummy and my Daddy can be my mummy and daddy for ever." He said "That's right." and gave her a high-five.

It's been a long wait, but we're thrilled everything is settled at last.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:58 am

Wonderful news indeed and after such a long haul for you all.

Enjoy the moment.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Celle

Post by Celle » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:37 am

Thank you, Robin.
And thanks to everyone who has supported us here.

Celle

Post by Celle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:26 am

Thanks, Irene. You have been supportive all through this.

I should add that when the judge asked F. if she knew what the adoption order meant, he also asked it she was happy about it and if it was what she wanted. She answered "Yes" to both questions.

He then dictated a letter (I assume it was to go in the records) in which he noted that "the child has given her consent to this adoption." I guess he had to show that her wishes had been consulted.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Congratulations Celle!

Wonderful news for you all and the start of a positive new chapter.

Suzie
FRG Adviser