How long does a hearing to be joined to proceedings take?

Skippy

How long does a hearing to be joined to proceedings take?

Post by Skippy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:56 am

We're being recommended by social services to provide long term care for our nephew. Tomorrow, we've got a hearing to be joined to the proceedings. How long is that likely to take?

David Roth

Re: How long does a hearing to be joined to proceedings take

Post by David Roth » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 am

Are you wondering about how long to take off work for the hearing?

The answer is that it's impossible to predict. It might sail through on the nod in a matter of minutes, or the judge might want to deal with a number of other matters first, and if there are disagreements then that could take time.

I would also suggest that, even if there are other matters being dealt with after the issue of being joined to the proceedings has been decided, it would be worth waiting around for them if you can. Being joined to the proceedings allows you access to the court proceedings which are otherwise private and confidential. If your aim is to take on the care of the child, then being a party allows you to hear the full background, which might not have been fully explained to you by either parents or social workers.

If you have an understanding employer (and I know that not all are in these difficult times), I would suggest asking if they can be very flexible about the time you start tomorrow, if that is your concern.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Skippy

Re: How long does a hearing to be joined to proceedings take

Post by Skippy » Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 am

Thank you. Information about this kind of thing is pretty difficult to track down, but we'll do whatever it takes to go through the proper processes.