Cafcass - when are we likely to hear from them?

MandyLou

Cafcass - when are we likely to hear from them?

Post by MandyLou » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:39 am

Just a quick couple of questions - hopefully!

We have made an application for a Residence Order for our gandson who is living with us under a child protection plan at the moment. When the court date came through we were told Cafcass would be asked to provide a report. Apparently that is now standard practice for all cases where an order is applied for over a child.
The court date was set for roughly 6 weeks from the date of the letter. We are now less than a month from the court date and I wondered when we are likely to hear anything from Cafcass. Does anyone have any recent experience of them?
Do they phone or visit, or just look at the paperwork? What sort of stuff will they want from us?
I'm quite nervous about the court now that grandson's mother has started to play dirty, but hopefully everyone will be able to see how settled and happy grandson is with us. I assume Cafcass will be concerned with his best interests rather than his mother's warped view of the world?

Thanks guys
MandyLou

David Roth

Re: Cafcass - when are we likely to hear from them?

Post by David Roth » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 pm

MandyLou, I would suggest you contact Cafcass to find out what is happening.

I'm aware that Cafcass have been very hard pressed to allocate all the work given to them within their given timescales. It might well be that they haven't been able to decide yet which Cafcass officer will have the space to take on your case.

You can just phone up the Cafcass office dealing with you and ask what is happening. The Cafcass website has the phone numbers and addresses of all their offices - if you go to this webpage you will see links to north, central and south England: if you live in Wales, Cafcass Cymru has its own website. http://www.cafcass.gov.uk/contact_us.aspx

The purpose of the Cafass report is to make a recommendation to the court about what will be in the child's best interests. Usually they ought to visit and talk to the child, if they're old enough, and to other people who are involved in the case. However, because Cafcass are so hard pressed, I have heard some carers report just having had a phone call from the Cafcass officer to prepare the report. The Cafcass officer will also be reading all the relevant reports that are available, so they should be well-informed when they visit you.
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

MandyLou

Post by MandyLou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies. It is great to hear that Cafcass will focus on the child's best interests. That is certainly how it should be.

I phoned Cafcass and they said the case was with their safeguarding team who would not be in touch until maybe even the week before the court date. They are likely to telephone rather than visit and will also contact the baby's mother. They did say they will have gathered all of the reports first so I am at least confident that they will have a good idea of the case before we speak to them.
Baby is 'thriving' in our care (according to the most recent health visitor report). He is now 5 months old and his mother hasn't seen him for a month. She hasn't even asked us how he is. In fact she hasn't been in touch at all. Probably the next time we see her will be in court.

It still seems like court is ages away but I guess the next couple of weeks will fly by.

MandyLou

Post by MandyLou » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 am

Court tomorrow. :-$

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Good luck in court. Never easy, but never as bad as you think it might be! ;)
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.