husband not natural grandfather is this a problem?

divadi2000

husband not natural grandfather is this a problem?

Post by divadi2000 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Just a quick question, the letter of intent for s/g/o my intentions were to put mine and my husbands names on in the event of something happening to either of us then the other wouldnt have to go through the court system again, but i just want to clarify something? my husband is not the kids natural grandfather, my husband has no children and he is not English he is from Turkey we have been married since 1999 and he has lived and worked here since 2002 he is not a British Citizen as that is your own choice if you want citizenship, he is excellent and very supportive with me and the kids would the fact that he is not thier natural grandfather,from Turkey and has no kids go against us in the application for s/g/o?? this has popped up in my mind and as I dont trust the s/s i want to know if they can object?
(incidently the natural grandfather has not bothered with the girls he has seen them twice since last August he's just like his daughter the kids mum)

jenmarie

Re: husband not natural grandfather is this a problem?

Post by jenmarie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:26 am

Hi
My partner and myself have been together just 4 years. My partner has never been married nor has any children. We are both named on the sgo. Hope this helps.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 am

It is not unusual in modern family life for there to be stepgrandparents, or half brothers and sisters, in family and friends care arrangements.

It should only be a problem if your husband makes it so, eg by saying that he would not accept a child who is not a blood relative. If he behaves like a loving grandfather who can parent the children safely and lovingly, then there should not be any difficulties arising from this.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

David

Post by David » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Just to say that I am also a step grandfather named with my wife (maternal grandmother) on the RO of our grandaughter. The only concern of the Children's Guardian was that I was suitable to have PR.

David H - grandparent carer
David - former kinship carer for SEND grandaughter, now retired and still appointee for her Universal Credit & DWP benefits

aimilgray

Post by aimilgray » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:18 am

hi we are paternal gp and my husband is the step granddad and it makes no difference at all. good luck