Special Guardianship Order

cbsab

Special Guardianship Order

Post by cbsab » Wed May 30, 2012 11:03 am

I wonder if anyone can give me any assistance or guidance - in December 2008 my nephew (22 months) was taken into Local Authority Care. In January 2009 it was agreed that me and my husband would be his carers, resulting in Kinship Carers and then in March 2010 Special Guardianship Order was granted.

Throughout the whole process (my sister) who I do not have a proper relationship anymore because of the situation has made both mine and my husband's life hell. She served court papers on us again in March 2011 regarding contact etc (at the time the SGO was granted Social Services did not gain a Contact Order it was just left to be at mine and my husband's discretion). Contact has always taken place every fortnight until last September when my nephew started school and so contact had to be changed. Me and my husband both work full time. After over a year of going backwards and forwards to Court and Cafcass being involved a Contact Order was granted in April 2012 along with a Section 91(14) order. The most annoying point is though that we have a legal bill of almost £2,500.00 and Social Services will not help out with anything towards these fees as they say it was a private dispute!! Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as me and my husband are just at a loss as to how we are going to find the money to pay the bill.

All we have ever wanted to do was provide a secure stable home for a vulnerable child but feel that we are being penalised. We have spoken to our local MP who has been very helpful.

Thank you for listening.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Special Guardianship Order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Dear Cbsab
My name is Suzie, I am an advisor here at Family Rights Group. Thanks for posting on our discussion board.
You say that you have had a contact dispute over your nephew who is living with you on a SGO, and your legal costs have been high. You say Children’s Services have refused to help you with these costs, and you asked for advice on this.
Children’s Services do have the power to help pay legal costs in these situations, where they consider it appropriate. Their criteria for offering help should be set out in their Family and Friends Care Policy – so ask your local authority for a copy of this. Or, you may be able to find it on their website or on ours. We have written to all Local Authorities and asked them for their policy in this area, and have posted the responses (where we got them) on our website family and friends care policy.
Find out what therr own policy says on this. From there, you can decide if you want to take it any further. In terms of process, the next step would be to make a formal complaint. There is more information about both Special Guardianship Support and Complaints here
advice sheets.
I hope this is helpful
All the best,
Suzie

cbsab

Re: Special Guardianship Order

Post by cbsab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Suzie

Thank you for your helpful reply. I will look into the information you suggest.

Regards