Channel 4 documentary on young carers

David Roth

Channel 4 documentary on young carers

Post by David Roth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm

We have been contacted by Helen Shearer, who has been commissioned by Channel 4 to do a documentary series on young people. They would like to include a film about young carers, eg sibling carers. Any sibling carers reading the forum who would be interested in taking part can either contact Helen directly, or contact me to discuss it.

Here is what Helen has written to me:

I am from a television production company called Rare Day who has been commissioned by Channel 4 to make a five-part documentary series about young people. One of the films will be about a young carer(s). In their own words and the words of those close to them, the documentary will explore the wide-ranging challenges and achievements encountered by young people who adopt this role.

Rare Day are particularly interested in kinship carers, specifically siblings (18 - 25) who are raising younger sibling(s) in the absence of their parents. Going out at 9pm on Channel 4, we hope the film might in some way empower the young people involved, increase understanding about what being a kinship carer really is and help raise people's awareness of the subject area.

To help us with our research we're hoping to speak to young people who are raising younger sibling(s) or who want to care for their siblings and are in the process of acquiring parental responsibility. If you'd be be willing to talk to us or just want to find out more please call Sam or Helen on 07507 248 886 or email helen@rareday.co.uk

Please rest assured that by contacting us you are doing so purely to help us with our research and are not, in any way, making a commitment to take part in the final programme. All conversations are completely confidential.

Rare Day understands and respects the sensitive nature of this subject, but we very much hope that you will consider getting in touch.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser