10 minute rule bill in commons - please help

10 minute rule bill in commons - please help

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2011 2:26 pm

Kerry McCarthy MP is really helpfully putting forward a 10 minute rule bill designed to raise the profile of family and friends carers, especially the tends of thousands of carers who have no legal order for the child and aren't foster carers.

10 minute rule bills don't become law and can't have financial implications for the Treasury but are a really good way of attracting publicity to an issue/cause. So in discussion with ourselves, she is proposing the following (see below). In order to maximise the chances of getting publicity in the media we do need carers who think that such a proposal would help or have helped them when they took on the child.

The 10 minute rule bill will enable a parental responsibility agreement to be made between parents with parental responsbility and a kinship carer. It would enable the carer to obtain parental responsibility without having to go to court to get a Residence order or special guardianship. It would be consistent with the option open to stepparents, and we think helpful particularly where it really is a consensual private arrangement between the parents and family carer, where the situation is temporary and/or going to court would be too costly and could upset the dynamics between parents and family carer. By getting parental responsibility it would give the family carer authority, for example to agree school trips, and more ammunition to be consulted/recognised in their dealings with agencies/professionals etc.

As I say, this 10 minute rule bill is really a publicity device to highlight the tens of thousands of children living with family and friends carers under no legal order and who have been too often overlooked to date. So please do get in touch, if you would be willing to be a 'case study'. Email cashley@frg.org.uk or you can ring 020 7923 2628 and speak to David or myself. Best wishes
Thanks
Cathy

Website Administrator

mama t

Re: 10 minute rule bill in commons - please help

Postby mama t » Fri May 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi although this would have been useful for me with my first grandson it still has problems as it will create more private arrangements if i have understood this correctly leaveing the care in the future without support of any kind. Yes we need to raise awareness of kinship carers and find a way to keep the children safe and this is only part of the solution. i have know idea how this could be changed to incorporate a way that it would not effet support at alater date.

love n light mama t

mama t
www.whyitsallaboutthem.com
mama t

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 pm

You are of course right that support is key, which is why we need to be campaigning for a system of support for family and friends carers which applies regardless of where people live and whether or not the child is looked after.

The 10 minutes rule bill is a device to raise the issue of how many carers are raising children now under private arrangements, with no support or recognition.
It would be useful to know what you think it would have helped with your first grandson.
Many thanks
Cathy

Website Administrator

mama t

Postby mama t » Sat May 21, 2011 12:16 am

hi Cathey
when my grandson first came to live with me before i had my RO he needed his injections at the doctors i was turned away so if this law had been brought in i would have been in a position to be able to sign for his injections and he wouod n't have had to wait untill we found mu and got her to sign a letter allowing me to take him to clinic for them.

love n light mama t

mama t
mama t

Return to “Getting your voice heard”