Are you a grandparent born in 1946?

David Roth

Are you a grandparent born in 1946?

Postby David Roth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Grandparents Plus has passed on this request, received from the BBC:

I am a producer in the science unit at BBC Radio 4 producing a landmark radio series which will follow a group of people at the forefront of the baby boom generation, turning 65 this year. Pioneering in spirit, this generation is tipped to redefine older age. Launching in the spring, the series will introduce listeners to a group of baby boomers (how their experiences have shaped them and their aspirations for the future), and then chart their developments in subsequent programmes over the years as they grow older.

I am keen that the group of people we follow is as representative of the British population as possible so that we can illustrate, through their experiences, the issues that are pertinent to many others of their generation. Given grandparents are often involved in childcare to some extent (in contrast to the previous generation), I think it's really important that we include someone who is plays a strong grandparenting role.

I'm in the process of selecting people to take part in the series now, so it would be absolutely fantastic if you could help to get a message out to any individuals who were born in 1946 who are in this situation and would be willing to have a chat with me. To this end, I attach a one page invitation. If you are able to circulate this to your members that would be great.

I am in the process of selecting individuals now, so I'd be very grateful if you could help asap!

Many thanks for your help.

With best wishes,

Beth Eastwood
Science Producer
tel: +44 (0)20 7557 2472

This sounds like a really intersting programme, and it would be really good if a grandparent carer could feature on it. If you are interested in taking part or would like more information please contact Beth direct on 020 7557 2472.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

yogibear

Re: Are you a grandparent born in 1946?

Postby yogibear » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Aw my hubby just misses out by 1 month.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most.

LLB

Postby LLB » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:51 am

I qualify but our experiences are so very different from those of our friends who are not grandparent carers.

They may have strong grandparenting roles but they still have time for themselves to do many of the things that us baby boomers might have planned to do. Our first thought is for the welfare of our grandchildren and with ailing bodies that does not leave any energy or opportunity for much else we might have planned for our retirement.

We also have all of the emotions, turmoil and strained relationships in a family on top of our Caring role. We have to be extremely careful what we say to anyone because we tread a very delicate path between the children's parents, the children and other family members.

yogibear

Postby yogibear » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 pm

LLB sounds exactly like my life, my tongue hurts where I have to bite it so often, and as it's supervised contact at our house. Mum on a Sat, Dad on a Sunday... with them both trying to score points. I spend my whole life treading on egg shells over the smallest of things.

Return to “Getting your voice heard”