Please help URGENT Panel

Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 6:15 am

Please help URGENT Panel

Post by AJA19 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi was looking for a bit of advice. I have had my gd since February and now have a negative fostering assessment and negative sgo.
Panel is coming up this week and I was wondering if I could hand out a brief statement I have typed out regarding how I feel the reports to be untrue.
Could I chat to the chairperson before panel starts to give the copies or could I give each panel member a copy when I go into the room ?. My sw doesn’t know I’ve made a statement and I’d prefer her not to know until in room as she has not been supportive of me and feel she will try and stop my statement from being looked at. It’s either me fighting for gd or adoption.
Many thanks

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Please help URGENT Panel

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Dear AJA19

Welcome to the family and friend carers’ discussion forum and thank you for your posts.

I am sorry that you did not receive a response before now.

You have posted several times and I will try to respond to your posts in this response. In your one of you refer to having had a positive assessment with recommendations and having gone to panel which was deferred. It is not clear whether you were going to a permanency panel or other panel. Unfortunately, your reference to the deferment needing to have the outcome of ‘NMS on me’ is not something that I am familiar with so cannot really advise relating to this.

From your subsequent posts, it seems that you are now in the position of your assessments for both fostering and special guardianship order are negative. Is this because the panel or decision maker has decided that you are not able to care for your granddaughter? It seems that if you invited to panel in the first place it suggest that panel was willing to consider you because of the recommendations that given. Do you still have an invitation to panel, bearing in mind that you have said both assessments are negative?

You gave the necessary consent for your medical records to be disclosed, which was the right thing to do if they were needed to clarify any issues realting to your health and your ability to care long term for your grandchild.

If the panel is not considering your case, then I do not see how it will help you to put a statement in to panel regarding your assessment. However, if you are attending panel, then you will be able to put your position to the panel.

I note that you said the final hearing was due to take place on 28th August but you have posted on 3rd September about going to panel. Has the court adjourned the final hearing and, if so, for how long?

Sometimes, where a family member has had a negative assessment, my advice would be to apply to the court to be a party to the case and ask for a further independent assessment. In your case, it appears that the final hearing has already been fixed, so it would be for the court to decide whether to delay the case for a further assessment. Your assessment was you say positive with recommendations, so your situation appears to be slightly different because of what you say about your assessment.

Please read our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings

You may wish to telephone our advice line to speak with one of our advisers. The advice line is on 0808 801 0366 and open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 6:15 am

Re: Please help URGENT Panel

Post by AJA19 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi Suzie,
Thanks for your reply.
I attended panel on 5th September and was told they are not recommending me to foster my granddaughter.
This is due to my medical history from a year and a half ago when I was depressed.
Since having my granddaughter my depression has lifted although I still have anxiety and panic attacks. I have slowly weaned off medication and on an anxiety course to help.
I have a solicitor who is going to ask court for me to be party to proceedings, court date of final hearing supposed to be end of October.
I feel the reports need to be challenged as I found a lot of untruths was written in not supporting me.
There are no concerns from my granddaughters social worker but the assessment is still a negative one.
As I am paternal grandmother I am wanting sgo otherwise the only other option is adoption which would break my heart.
Contact is going well with both birth parents although mum has missed a few contacts due to various reasons hospital etc so sw said contact may be limited.
Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond

Post Reply