contact with granddaughter continued

shelly22

contact with granddaughter continued

Post by shelly22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am

hi again,

I am almost finished!

What I want to is can I apply for a contact order while care proceedings are ongoing?

Many thanks in advance

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: contact with granddaughter continued

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Dear shelly22

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion forum. My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group.

I apologise that your post had not received a response before now due to volume of work.

From your post I see that things have been very difficult for you because of your adult son’s violent behaviour as well as drug and alcohol abuse. Although you have given a lot of background information you have just one question, whether it is possible to apply for contact when care proceedings are ongoing.

The answer to your question will depend on the legal position relating to your granddaughter. If the court has made an interim care order in favour of the local authority, then you would need to apply for contact to a child in care. Please read our advice sheetContact with children in care for more information. If your granddaughter is not subject to an order but accommodated by the local authority with the consent of the mother, then you could apply to the court for a contact order. Our advice sheet about Contact with children accommodated by Children’s Services is included for your information.

It may be that if there is no court order in favour of the local authority and the mother objects to you having contact, then children’s services will take note of her wishes as she has parental responsibility. Please see our advice sheet regarding Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system which includes information about contact with the wider family.

Alternative to applying to the court, you may wish in the first instance, to write to children’s services asking for written reasons as to why they do not consider it appropriate for your granddaughter to have contact with you.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie