Support Plan

DGJ

Support Plan

Post by DGJ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:05 am

Does anyone know under what category of applying to court that we could apply to court due to the fact that the Local Authority are not abiding by the Special guardianship plan put in place for two children in terms of Financial and Therapeutic .
I have already been through the complaints procedure and got nowhere. It's been to the very top.
I know we have a case but would like to save on solicitor costs if possible .
Thanks in advance

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Support Plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Dear DGJ

Thank you for your post.

I see that you are having difficulty with the local authority in relation to the special guardianship support plan and obtaining therapeutic help.

You do not give any information about what aspect of the financial support that you are complaining about. Is this to do with children’s services making a reduction following a review? In your post you say that you have complained and gone to the very top. If your complaint has not been dealt with to your satisfaction and you have gone through all the stages of complaint then you should go to the local government ombudsman with your case. Please see our advice sheet Challenging decisions and making complaints

Regarding therapeutic help, you can make a request for support from the adoption support fund which includes special guardians.

To challenge a local authority in the court you would need to make an application for judicial review of a decision that has been made by the authority. You may be able to get assistance from the Bar Pro Bono Unit and their telephone number is 020 7092 3960.

You may also like to read our advice sheet relating to Support for relatives and friends who are looking after someone else’s child.

Hope this is of help but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 8021 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie

DGJ

Post by DGJ » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm

In terms of Financial our support plans have funding till 18 with increases in line with Fostering but the Local Authority is not abiding by this and in the last year has changed there support for new special guardianship and financial support for new guardians only now continues for 2 years . But our support plans were made years before this came into place and they are trying to remove our payments.I had to give up work to look after one of the children due to high care needs(mental health and night time trauma). And to lose that money without a wage coming in or not being able to get work because of her needs I honestly don't think I could manage at all.
In terms of therapy I'm aware of the Adoption support fund as we applied last financial year after a lengthy 6 month assesment by the local authority to make sure it was needed. But this year they are refusing to do an assessment for Adoption fund as the Local Authority feel that child with severe mental health (Post traumatic stress disorder) needs to want therapy and want to talk and they pretty much said we think getting a play therapist ( which is what counsellor from last year advised) was a waste of money .

I have asked the Local Authority to fully check my complaint and appeal and this is being done at the moment by someone whom that has not been involved previously .

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:08 pm

Dear DGJ

Thank you for the update. I hope you will have a satisfactory outcome once your circumstances have been reviewed through your complaint and appeal of the decision to remove your special guardianship allowance.

Since you have an order that states payments should be made until the children are 18, you should seek legal advice whether you can take the matter to court since the local authority are effectively breaching a court order.

Best wishes

Suzie