PASSPORT FOR FOSTERED GRANDDAUGHTER

xtina

PASSPORT FOR FOSTERED GRANDDAUGHTER

Post by xtina » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Would really appreciate any advice on where we stand to get a passport done for G/D...

My daughter is fostering my grandchildren [till they are 18]

The forms/photo were took in to SS for signing but were returned to Daughter on visit and she was told they could not be done until holiday had been booked.

I understand this would be the case ...if they were paying for them ....but how do we stand if we are paying for them.

The problem is ...to book holiday abroad as cheap as poss so having to look at last minute deals ....that cannot be done without passport ...please help

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: PASSPORT FOR FOSTERED GRANDDAUGHTER

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Dear xtina

Welcome back to the Family and Friends Carers Discussion Board.

I am assuming that your grandchildren are subject to a care order whilst being fostered by their aunt.

It seems very odd that children services (new name for social services) would say that a holiday has to be booked for a passport can be applied for. My understanding is that the children’s social worker should deal with applying for passport as children services share parental responsibility for the children which your daughter as a foster carer does not. The application for a passport for children subject to a care order would have to be signed off by a director in the local authority.

Since one can apply for a passport whether a holiday is imminent or not, I suggest that your daughter put her request in writing to the children’s social worker. If the children are under a care order, your daughter as a foster carer, cannot take the children on holiday without permission from children services.

If the children are not subject to a care and your daughter has an order stating that the children live with her then she would have parental responsibility and able to apply for a passport. She could make enquiries of the passport agency.

As you say a passport is needed to book a holiday. Has the holiday been discussed with the social worker already?

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

xtina

Post by xtina » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Thank you so much suzie for your reply really really helpful .thank you

IC***

Post by IC*** » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:30 pm

We are foster carers under a care order with a SGO being made in a few months. The child is the daughter of my cousin that passed way.
We went on holiday en august and as soon as we got back the social worker came by to collect the passport.
Is this normal? the feeling was that we were not trustworthy, not nice feeling!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Dear Imcamoes

Welcome to the Family and Friends Carers discussion board.

I see from you post that you are feeling upset by the fact that the social worker retrieved the child's passport as soon as you returned from holiday.

The social worker, would not have taken the passport because of distrust but because it may be normal practice. The local authority has a care order and are therefore responsibility for the child. It is therefore more appropriate for them to ensure that the passport is with them. Clearly children's services trusted you enough to agree to the child going on holiday.

I understand that you might feel that you are not being trusted but I am sure that was not the intention. You could mention how you feel to the social worker.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie

xtina

Post by xtina » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Just to let you know, my granddaughter has now received a passport after following your advice .

Thank you so much for this forum.

xtina

Post by xtina » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Just to let you know, my granddaughter has now received a passport after following your advice .

Thank you so much for this forum.