Bedroom tax/local housing allowance

Luv2read

Bedroom tax/local housing allowance

Post by Luv2read » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi, just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I have my grandson with me under a sgo. He is one. To get him we had to move into a 4 bed house as we already have 3 children living at home and the LA said he has to have his own room and would be unable to share with any of our children. Now we have the council saying housing benefit will only be paid on 3 bedrooms as 2 children under the age of 10 have to share.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Bedroom tax/local housing allowance

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Dear Luv2read

Welcome back to the Family and Friends’ Discussion Board and thank you for your post.

I am sorry that you find yourself in this difficult position at the moment regarding the housing benefit payments from the local authority.

A copy of our advice sheet relating to the support that family and friends carers can get in included here . I suggest that you read page 18 which deals specifically with benefit entitlement.

The criteria which local authorities use regarding room occupancy does state that children under 10 should share. Do you have any written evidence to show that the local authority required you to move to larger accommodation in order to have your grandson live with you? Perhaps this would help if you decide to challenge the decision to reduce your housing benefit. You could request a discretionary payment from the local authority if a reduction in your housing benefit is causing you financial difficulty.

If you wish you could make contact with your local MP or councillor to have your case looked at again because of your particular circumstances.

I suggest that you make contact with the local Citizen Advice Bureau who will be able to give you more information about housing benefit as this is not an area for which we provide advice.

Hope that you find this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Luv2read

Post by Luv2read » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:42 am

Hi, I have asked the social worker for a letter stating that my grandson was to have his own room. Unfortunately she is now saying that she never said I had to move and could of shared with my children. She did say that we had to move on numerous occasions and phoned the housing officer herself on 3 occasions to see about us getting a 4 bedroomed house but I don't have anything I writing stating that was said so I'm afraid I'm stuck. Had we not been told that we would not have moved from somewhere we all loved and gave up a council property to a privately rented one

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Dear Luv2read

Thank you for posting again.

I understand the difficulty that you are faced with at the moment as the social worker is not willing to provide any written confirmation of what was said to you. Do you have a copy of the assessment that was done as this might mention something about accommodation?

You may wish to consider requesting a copy of children services records in relation to your grandson which might help in confirming what you are saying. Unfortunately, it will be your word against the social worker's. It seems unbelievable that you would simply have given up a secure council tenancy if you did not need to. Please see our advice sheet about accessing records.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you could make a formal complaint. Here is our advice sheet relating to complaints.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie