SGO Care and Settling in Package

Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:43 am

SGO Care and Settling in Package

Postby IAS » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am

Hi All,

We are currently going through court for SGO for our Neice and Nephew, which is more than likely going to happen. We went to see a solicitor last week and he said we need to start thinking about a care package and settling in package. We have a 2 year old ourselves but we have nothing for these 2 children.

Just wondering what they would be likely to help us with? I have started a list below and I wanted to ask people that have already had the SGO is there anything we haven't thought about? Without having the children its hard to know what they will need.

2 beds with mattresses
Mattress protectors
Duvet cover sets
Car Seats
Storage/Toy Boxes
Possibly curtains, carpets, paint and wallpaper (we will have to move before we get the children)
Safety gates

Is there anything we have missed?

How likely are they to help us with all this?

Many thanks
Last edited by IAS on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: SGO Care and Settling in Package

Postby Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Dear SAI,

I am glad that your solicitor is discussing what care package you might need, prior to the order being granted. Your list can be presented by your solicitor as part of the assessment, Children services should put a support plan in writing. It is important that this is done well before the final order is made by the court. If you were not happy with what has been offered, your solicitor can then challenge it.

By law, children services should have a friends and family policy which includes special guardians. Your starting point should be to check this.
Is there a special guardianship support group in your area? If so, find out about this and you could talk to others special guardians about support.

Financial support might be available, if children services consider it “necessary “to help you to look after the children. So, for example, children’s services, as part of the assessment may look at your request for a larger car and also what is needed to set up your home to accommodate the children.

Financial support is also available if either of the children have extra needs arising from illness, disability or emotional and behavioural disabilities.
These needs might arise due to the neglect or abuse they suffered in the past. The assessment by children services should detail any needs that have been noted.

There is also the adoption support fund which is open to special guardians as well as adopters.

Have you asked to be assessed for special guardianship order allowance? This is means tested and will be reviewed yearly.
See our advice sheet that I put on my last post to you which sets out support that you could be assessed for, form page 39.
Do any other carers have other suggestions?

Best wishes,


User avatar
Posts: 2110
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:26 pm

Re: SGO Care and Settling in Package

Postby ied53 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:41 am

access to personal support for the children. counselling ( if they indicate attachment issues eg) support with life story work.
who is going to supervise contact?,
frequency of contact , ( often a bone of contention due to frequency YOU need a family life too) . Length of contact ( we had up to 2 hrs every eight weeks our sw said it was to be enough to know the parents and little enough for the child to be secure in the placement) there is often more.
support with managing contact in the early days.
where you would like contact to take place ( we didn't allow it at home we insisted on a neutral venue away from the home that we approved)
who can be present at the contact ( we said parent/s only so we didn't get a stream of partners or unsavoury friends)
any sibling contact? other relatives? - is there a reason they should not have contact? who is likely to?
your suggestions / requests are good but think of the bigger picture too.
Grandparent carer in Lincolnshire
Tough times never last tough people do

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 am

Re: SGO Care and Settling in Package

Postby R24 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 am

The law is as set out at section 14 D of the Children Act 1989, which is set out at the end of this post. We can see from this that a parent can apply to vary or discharge an SGO but needs the court’s permission first.a. First the parent must show a change of circumstances.b. Then the court will consider the child’s welfare and the parent’s prospects of success in challenging the SGO.

Return to “Natter and chatter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests