Page 1 of 1


Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 pm
by Carlos1971
Not sure if this is the right place to post as a Newbie but here goes.

I am currently a guardian to my 3 year old grand daughter and "maybe" soon be taking on my 23 week old twin grandchildren.
I have been told off social worker that I "have" to move house, which is a quite large 2 double bedroom house, before judgement in order to take on the twins.
We haven`t been in the house, which is in a really nice area with good neighbours, for not too long (9 months) and have spent over £3000 sorting out the house and garden.
Fostering said they didn`t have a problem because of the age of children and size of the bedrooms, but the Social worker says that they aren`t happy because there is only 2 bedroom`s and it is not good enough.
I can get re-homed by the council, but this will be a house which I have to take with no option about area and problem neighbours (which is probably where council will send us) where I don`t want to bring up young children.
My only other option would be private rent to get a decent house in a decent area, which is going to cost approx £2000 (which I can`t afford) to move in with admin fee`s and moving cost`s.
Is the Social Worker correct saying I "MUST" move before judgement, even though the 3 small children could be going home wasting all the money I`ve spent on the house I`m in now and moving to a new house maybe for no reason. ??

Re: Housing

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:30 am
by Carlos1971
They have said they will help with funding, but with a loan which we will have to pay back.
I am going to see a solicitor about the issue this afternoon.

Re: Housing

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:26 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Carlos1971

Welcome to the family and friends discussion board.

I think under the circumstances you are correct to seek legal advice, if not only to clarify your position when you have been given conflicting advice from within the Local Authority about what would be in the best interests of the children with regards your housing position.

You may wish to speak to a housing law centre or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for further advice.

Ensure that you make reference to the contents of the Special Guardian support plan both at the solicitor appointment and in any ongoing correspondence or posts about your situation.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes


Re: Housing

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:04 pm
by Carlos1971
Solicitor says the Social Worker is WRONG to say we have to move before judgement is made. It is not the Social worker who makes decision on the housing of the children, it is up to the court.
If the children are placed with ourselves we are willing to move, which we have already told Social worker and the Solicitor says we are being more than reasonable offering to move if necessary.
So it looks like we are staying put for now :)

Re: Housing

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 pm
by Carlos1971
I informed the IRO and the Manager today about what the social worker has said and neither are happy with what was said and the concerned party is being seen on Monday in managers office.