Care orders

Roma1

Care orders

Post by Roma1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:33 am

Well, after what seems like a lifetime , the court case is over. Full care orders for all the children. Three removed from the mother and one left with her under a full care order. The child still with the BM is 2 and a half.
What does this mean? The SW said they share PR for this child and had wanted her removed and potentially adopted the the Guardian didn't support that. It doesn't make sense to me..... She is under a care order until 18 but the consider the BM to be capable of caring for her???

Roma1

Re: Care orders

Post by Roma1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:00 am

Yeah Irene. Knowing her, I wonder that too. Three damaged siblings compared to one on its own is perhaps manageable. Just never heard of kids being in care and staying with parent.
Been a long journey!!! I am ok, more upset about not being able to establish any meaningful contact with the kids.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:23 am

Dear Roma1,

Thank you for letting us know about the care proceedings. It has taken a long time for the court process to be completed.

All 4 children will be subject to the care orders until they are 18 (unless the court discharges them earlier). In respect of the three older children, long term plans should be made-so they may move to long term foster carers.

However, the youngest child is still with mum but under a care order. Irene is right to say that she will be monitored and supported by children services. If at anytime they thought she was at risk of harm, they can take steps to remove her immediately into foster care.

However, if things go well for the youngest child and mum is able to provide “good enough” care, then children services can also decide to go back to court to discharge the care order.

After 6 months, mum also has the option of going back to court and asking that the care order be discharged. But she would have to be able to show that there has been a substantial change of circumstances since the care order was made and that it is in the best interests of her child for the care order to be discharged.

As the court proceedings have finished, there will no longer be a children’s guardian.
The children will still have a social worker, as well as the independent reviewing officer –who will be monitoring the case at looked after children (LAC) meetings which will take place on a regular basis. Have a look at our advice sheet about Duties to children in the care system .

You mention your frustrations about establishing meaningful contact with the children. The advice sheet about contact with children in care might help.

It has a useful section about research that has been done about the importance to children in care to maintain links with their family as well as what government guidance says about contact.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Roma1

Post by Roma1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Thank you suzie
In respect if my contact I think it has become problematic because the mother has sabotaged it( SW has told me this - that she had made comments during contact sessions etc)
SW still maintain that they will promote my contact but I am unsure about this now! At the end of the day the children's views will be considered and in spite if previously being very close to me, they are now very damaged!
Where CS had said they would arrange contact over the school holidays, they are now saying they may try and establish some indirect contact if the children want it!!! Frustrating after I have spent so many months working wit CS for the well being of the kids!

Roma1

Post by Roma1 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:54 am

After being in care for almost two years, the eldest child of the sibling group has stated he wants to to visit me. I am not surprised really, it has just taken so long to happen. I have maintained indirect contact through the SW, always very positive and thoughtful..... And it seems it has come good in the end!!!
The SW is coming to visit me in early January and I will hear more!
I hope this is the first step to establishing contact with all the children. She said that the child I was going to foster has been significantly damaged regarding her relationship with Myself and that CS are keen to "unpick" what has happened in the process to damage and sabotage that relationship. She has, I am told, become very upset when I have sent presents/ letters etc but, at the same time, welcomed them! poor child! I suppose these things do tend to surface over time once they begin to feel secure.
The mother did some serious interference and I can't even begin to imagine what has happened. I have told CS that is they believe it is in the children's best interests for me to cease contact to just say and I will. But they said that the children "desperately need positive and healthy relationships form significant people - and that I am the only person showing any interest in them" ( no family members have come forward for contact , direct or indirect)
So....in spite of feeling the journey was over, it would seem not!
Hoping I can have at least a couple of nights stay over with the eldest child, who is now 13.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:15 am

Hi Roma1

That is great news. Hopefully things will continue to move forward positively in the next few months. Let us know.

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser